How to Make a Succulent Birdcage Wreath

I needed a Spring wreath for my front door and I had no idea what I was going to make. Then inspiration struck and I brought down my half birdcage that was just collecting dust and filled it with succulents to create the perfect "living wreath" that I can display outside in the spring and summer and inside in the fall and winter.
how to make a succulent birdcage wreath, crafts, flowers, gardening, how to, repurposing upcycling, succulents
I've been a little obsessed with succulents lately ever since I went to Home Depot and saw the mother load of succulents. I went and picked up 6 succulents and some sphagnum moss to line my birdcage with for a hefty $15. I already had the perfect half birdcage with a flat back that I had picked up at Kohls after Christmas for 50% off for about $13. When I got home I went straight to work.
This flat back birdcage is perfect to hang on my front door!
Here are the supplies I used:
•several different succulent plants (I used 6)
•a birdcage (I used a flat back one so it could hang on my door)
•sphagnum moss
•potting soil
•small pebbles (I used some that I sifted out of my son's sandbox)
•a kabob stick (you can use any kind of stick, I just already had kabob sticks)
I started by lining my birdcage with sphagnum moss. This moss is used to make those hanging pots that look like moss sitting on wires. It holds a lot of water so it's perfect for watering and for keeping dirt inside the wire birdhouse. I put the moss in a bowl filled with water and then squeezed out as much water as I could and lined the entire birdcage.
Here's a pic of the birdcage lined with moss.
After that I put some pebbles on the bottom for drainage and covered that with dirt. I wasn't too worried about drainage since succulents don't require too much water so I will be watering sparingly. Which is perfect for me since I often forget to water the plants (I'm such a bad plant mom).
I filled the dirt all the way up to the top of the moss.
Now I started arranging my succulents in the birdcage. I bought some succulents that would look good hanging as well as some that would not be hanging to give it a nice varied look. I took the hanging succulents out of their pots first since I was going to have them on the outside of the birdcage. I knocked off as much dirt as I could get off of the roots since it would be easier to insert the plants without extra baggage. I used the kabob stick to poke a hole in the moss to insert the succulent roots.
On some of the plants with longer roots I gently pushed them into the hole with the kabob stick.
I continued knocking off dirt from the roots and using the kabob stick to plant the succulents all along the outside. I planted the non hanging succulents inside of the birdcage. I also knocked as much dirt off of those plants since I already had enough dirt inside the cage. I watered very sparingly when I was finished. Here is a picture of the inside of the birdcage. I was able to poke some of the smaller offshoots from the inner plants through the bars so they can be seen from the outside.
Here is a pic of the finished birdcage. As the succulents continue to grow I can poke more out and they may even fill in the top area more.
I am in love my new succulent birdcage wreath! If you want to see more pictures and some tips and tricks on succulents visit my blog :)
Thrifty Artsy Girl

• Coni

OMG, I love this! It looks so elegant but where can I find a flat cage like that?