Ladder Planter --The TUTORIAL

$0

It all began on a sunny day while chatting with my neighbor. We were in her garage and I said to her ” why do you still have that old wooden ladder? It looks dangerous.” She replied, “I don’t know. It works.” I say to her why don’t you let me make an herb garden out of that old ladder so we can really get some use out of it, ie. grow mint for Mojitos and basil for pizza. She then looks at the ladder then turns to me and nods in agreement. “OK, you can take the ladder,” she says. And thus began the final Cent-sational Salvage Challenge of the summer. I set forth to make the most awesome of awesomest (did you know that
And thus began the final Cent-sational Salvage Challenge of the summer. I set forth to make the most awesome of awesomest (did you know that was a word?) of herb ladder gardens.
Here is a quick recap of what I did to transform this old rugged ladder.
This ladder had seen better days. And I was happy my friend was no longer using it.
I positioned the ladder in a more 90 degree angle.
Made planter boxes that using scrap wood paneling that I had in my garage. I wanted the boxes to look like drawers.
And with it being summer I thought I'd get my "kid helpers" involved. They like painting and arts and crafts.
And to tell the truth they are very helpful.
I would have never guessed that when the kids were done I'd have a new paint treatment on the house. Nor did I see them discovering the water "spicket" (Do they call it that outside of Charleston, SC? LOL I have no clue. But for all other areas its pronounced spigot.)
Sooo after the water and the paint dried I was able to plant my new herb garden.
I think What do you think? ;)

ToolBox Divas

• Jean Choate

How about water faucet? lol California

• Gail

We haves pickets in Michigan too. What are "spigots"? Must be a Texas thing. We also have "cricks" and not creeks.

• CJ

Love the ladder planter! Wish I stillI had our old dangerous ladder, now....

Isn't it funny how different areas have the varied dialects?

I also read "spigot" but say "spicket" as that is how I always heard it pronounced. Grandpa said "crick" but everyone else said "creek." Dad would say "elem" when he talked about "elm" trees and he was one who generally knew the trees! All from central areas of Missouri.

• Sherry Clark

Would you happen to remember where you got your watering can? I really could use one like that!

• CJ

Sherry, try the big lumber yards, the ones remember have part of the top closed in, not completely open like the one in her photo, though. Maybe Amazon would have what you need, I searched for "metal watering can" and a bunch of choices came up. I tried to copy/paste the link but my device is being uncooperative. Some were very small so read descriptions carefully.

Hope you find the perfect watering can!