Turn Glass Jars Into Charming Lanterns In 15 Minutes

$5

I've been seeing glass lanterns wrapped with twine around the top practically everywhere. But I couldn't see spending money on this item to decorate with when I knew that I could make it myself.
I ended up spending less than $5 for this craft that I almost paid over $20 for at the store. And the project ended up being so easy!
Goodwill and thrift stores always have an abundance of glass jars at a really affordable price. That makes this a really inexpensive project to DIY.
Using thick twine (or sisal), begin by gluing a loop on both sides of the jar. This will be your handle. Then, without cutting the twine, begin wrapping the twine around and around the top of the jar. Use hot glue to attach it to the previous row of twine to be sure that it is secure.
One item that you can use these glass lanterns for is planting small plants like succulents.
You can add a candle and decorative rocks. You could fill the lantern with water and add some flowers or leafy branches. I love seeing different jars being used together but looking cohesive because they all have the same top.
So many possibilities for this inexpensive craft! I'd love to know what you think. Is this something you'd make for yourself?

Jamie

• 2177116953

Love the idea with stones & candle in lantern.

question: if lantern is filled with water,

do u have pic using branches u can post?

thanks.

• Mark D. Mitchell

I'd love to put my succulent in a big mouth jar but how would it do I worry about root rot even though they require little water.

These with a lid would make excellent terriums.

• Cathy Herring

Those are beautiful what a great way to recycle

• Diane

I am in the process of clearing out so much stuff in my house I am older and have had a lifetime of collecting things and I love all my beautiful stuff but you know you tend to run out of room I was just going to put a whole bunch of different types of glass jars and vases in my yard sale. But after seeing this I think I'm going to do this to some of the charge and vases because I have a huge ball of twine already and tons of all this other stuff I'm going to make some of these up pretty them up a little bit and maybe I can get a few more dollars out of them instead of a dollar maybe I can make $5, this is a great idea for your house or if you're having a garage sale.