A DIY Tutorial on Window Trim

We’ve all heard the story of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. Then he wants some milk, then a straw, then a napkin….And eventually you wind up giving him another cookie and on and on the story goes. Seriously this is my life. I start one thing then that gives me an idea to do this, then I have to do that, then what if we did this, but then I’d have to do something with that. It’s a vicious cycle.

So,
a diy tutorial on window trim, diy, how to, windows, woodworking projects
This is the before with the old window. It sits back a little further than the new ones. By the way, I know this is rule number one of how NOT to hang your curtains. I am well aware....just haven't decided what I want to do yet...keep the curtains or go another route.
This is with the new window. It sits flush with the window jamb, which does not sit flush with the wall.....which is not how it should be. But, this is something that I cannot change at this point, so I just have to work around it.
I added a sill to the jamb using pocket holes. If you have a window that sits further back, I have more details and pictures in the blog. The link is below.
Then I added sides and an apron.
Finally, I added the top piece and some crown moulding. More details in the post below on how to cut the moulding.
Window selfie! haha, no seriously don't look at me, look at the new window trim! Please ignore the gap under the top piece. My window jamb wasn't 100% square and this will be covered with half round moulding once I can get my table saw fixed and cut it.
A more detailed how-to can be found in the blog post below. Happy trimming!
Woodshop Diaries

• Arlene Comollo

What are pocket holes?

• Rena Noele

Kreg Tool is a jig system that helps you drill a precisely angled hole in one piece of wood to join with a screw to an adjoining piece of wood. I started with the minimum jig and fell in love with the concept.

• Kelley843

Love it!! Do you really need curtains? I love it as is.

• Becky

I personally don't like curtains/drapes. I have 4" plantation on all 36 of my windows. My reason is, you can wipe them with a damp cloth, feather duster, or the fuzzy vacuum attachment and you don't have to take them down to clean them. I'm always amazed at the dust and I'm so glad I don't have dusty fabric hanging on my windows.

• Debbie Green

Where did you get your curtains?? I like them. They would fit into my decor in my living room that I just finished. Just haven't found any curtains that I like yet.

• Living Free

LOL! That is the motto in our 100 year old home when we start any project. You have to have humor to get the job done. Great job and thanks for sharing.

• Carol moffatt

I wouldn’t cover your beautiful work. Go for a Roman shad or something similar that you can hang in the recess.