DIY Magnetic Spice Board

This handy metal Magnetic Spice Board can be mounted to the inside of any kitchen cabinet to hold containers of your most-used spices. It's removable too!
My blank canvas is a 12"x18" piece of sheet metal from Lowe's!
These are some of the supplies you'll need to make your Magnetic Spice Board. The piece of metal is 12" x 18" - a perfect fit for the inside of a cabinet door!
I made a border stencil out of cardstock and a border punch (that I found on clearance for a great deal quite a while ago). Then I adhered it to the top third or so of my sheet metal and spray painted with chalkboard paint.
I'm quite pleased with how my makeshift stenciling turned out! Now I have a chalkboard space on the metal board that I can change if I wish. Right now, I'm using it to store spices, but I could use it in my craft room for any small craft storage, like beads or buttons.
Below is the board mounted on the inside of the kitchen cabinet.
Find out how I attached it to the cabinet door by clicking here:
http://sondralynathome.com/magnetic-spice-board-diy-days-blog-hop/

15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Sondra Lyn at Home

• Yvonne
    Yvonne

How did you make it magnetic???

• Linda Sikut
      Linda Sikut

@Jeanne Martin, When Hometalk lists products, it's actually an affiliate link and that is stated below the products. "Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page". It's one way Hometalk makes money to pay for their website and pay their employees so that we can enjoy the site free. The sad part is that sometimes it is not the correct item. It's a relatively new program so I'm hoping it will get better. :)
  • ME Lopez
    ME Lopez

Where did you find the spice containers?

• NotHermione
      NotHermione

I have seen those type of spice jars at Dollar Tree. Also available on-line.

• Patti
    Patti

The spice jars seem to be really tiny. Do you only buy small amounts at a time ... like the DIY bulk spice dispensers in the store? If you buy larger containers where do you store them?

• Itsmemic
    Itsmemic

I buy beautiful tins...tuna fish container size...clear tops...ALREADY with a large magnet on the back..flat. And put all my craft stuff and spices in them...I then?? Stick them on my stainless steel fridge and freezer sides. Looks awesome..and they are SOOOOOO Useful !!! $1.00 each at the Dollar Tree.. !! They also have 2 smaller ones for $1.00. I mean come on...why make your own ???

• Bkr34090381
    Bkr34090381

I did something similar for my small crafty item storage but used an old cookie sheet that was far beyond being used for food ever again. I painted it with a rust prevention paint and stuck it to my wall using a sturdy Command strip in each corner.

I'd suggest you could also use a past-its-prime cookie sheet for this project. Such an item could be purchased at a thrift store very inexpensively. Just remember if you paint it, do so in a paint that isn't likely to peel with frequent use. Of course you could always go with the "rustic look" if using it inside the cabinet door. I would still advise removing any rust and spraying it with clear coat to avoid future rust from forming.