Garbage Can Planters

Hello and Happy Labor Day weekend peeps. Today I have a pretty TRASHY
post for you all!!! Last month while out shopping with a friend at LITTLE HILL FARM ,
I found these 2 trash cans. I have been on the look-out for some just like this for a while now,
so I was thrilled......yes thrilled over trash cans!!!!!
My plan was to make them into planters for our back deck.
I poked a hole into the bottom to allow for drainage.
Before I added the potting soil, I filled them up with empty
plastic bottles, so I wouldn't have to make the planters
heavier then necessary.
This is kind of a weird little shaped area of the upper deck,
not large enough for much else.
Our recycle bin with the plastic bottles was not very full,
so in order to get to the empty bottles on the bottom of the dumpster,
I had to step on a stool and hang over the rim of the trash bin to
fish for the empty bottles. And I wondered
"does this count as dumpster diving" ?
If so, I officially sank that low in my blogging adventures!!!! LOL
I am pretty happy with the way they turned out. If I had purchased
planters that big at a store I would have paid lots of MULAHHH
and this has so much more personality!!!
Very TRASHY indeed!!!

18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
Christine @ Little Brags

• Cathy Robinson
    Cathy Robinson

What chance do these planters have of rusting and staining the deck? Or is there some kind of coating we can put on the bottoms to prevent them from rusting? I do love these and plan on doing them myself!

• MaryAnn Amato
    MaryAnn Amato

About how far up do you fill the trash cans up with plastic bottles before adding soil? Half way maybe? What keeps the soil from settling through the bottles and plugging the drain holes? Do you cover the bottles maybe with newspaper?

• Jinxx
      Jinxx

Thanks for posting this! I thought I was the only weirdo using a trash can for a planter. I’m a little embarrassed about it, but I have a rubber tree on my patio that is more than 18 feet tall and still growing. I’ve had it about 15 years and there’s no way I could afford a “real” planter for it, nor could I carry one up to my second floor balcony. It would probably be too heavy once planted anyway. This plant has worked his way up to the largest size of galvanized trash can now and I no longer used any filler at the bottom the last time I replanted him. He is so tall he needs all the weight at the bottom to counterbalance his height when he starts swaying in California’s Santa Ana winds. I usually would repot him when I would come home and find him lying flat on his back on the patio. He currently stands proudly in the most sheltered corner of the patio, against two adjoining walls, which give him a little shelter. When we are due for strong winds, I wrap him loosely in bungee cords at several levels so he can sway but not break, and we hope for the best. I have about five large birds of paradise plants that are around 20 years old that all need to be repotted too. Not the giant ones; the blue and orange flowering ones; Strelitzia reginae. They are currently in the largest nursery pots I can afford so will be making the transition to galvanized can living in the Spring. Maybe it will become a trend? I’m just happy to know I have a partner in tin out there!

• Kam28564965
    Kam28564965

How many gallons is the smaller trash can?

• Caroline Gerardo
    Caroline Gerardo

Love the idea for a country look.

• Susan
    Susan

Just a side note. In Oregon we turn in our bottles for the deposit so this would sacrifice some change for the grandkids. Alternative, reuse Styrofoam or packing peanuts. They are also lightweight and bad for the environment if put in a landfill. Ask local furniture, appliance, or other businesses for their leftovers. It you break the Styrofoam place it over the can so the loose bits don't get on the ground.

• Tina
      Tina

Plastic milk jugs, oj containers, plant holders from your annuals, many options to fill those large cans.