What can give you more pleasure than to up-cycle a wine bottle that has already given so much pleasure? To begin, you must first empty the wine bottle, remove all labels and adhesive. There is however a step which I must prepare for later.
Altered Wine Bottle
I cut a circle of cloth approximately 6" in diameter. To prepare this step, I mix 3 tbsp Plaster of Paris, 3 tbsp Elmer's Glue, 3 tbsp water (equal parts if you have a larger project. I mixed well in the dish pan and soak the cloth until completely saturated.
Then drape it over the neck of the bottle and allow to dry while I continue to the next step. I found that placing two rubber bands helps to hold it in place. Later on, as it dries, I will rearrange and position the folds.
This is the first time I will be working with craft foam sheets. These come in 12" x18" sheets. I cut the long strips 3" wide and then later cut them into a variety of sizes. I estimated that I would need an entire sheet for this project (allowing for waste). Turns out to be pretty close, as I had one 3" strip leftover. I'm also working with a new tool called a Crop-a-dile. This tool will punch the holes needed and then compress the eyelets. The 1/8" eyelets, I'm using for this project comes in boxes of 100 and I used just under 3 boxes. Whole lot of punching going on. This was the most time consuming part of the project. However, I will say, it is possible to multi-task (i.e. TV and/or youtube).
Back to the bottle - ooooh I like the sounds of that. As mentioned earlier you must start with a clean bottle and the last step in preparing the bottle is to wipe it down with rubbing alcohol. It removes any oils and/or fingerprints. Doesn't matter if you use the 70 or 90%, just so the bottle is dry before you begin to paint it. My undercoat is a white gesso. White chalk paint should work just as well.
The final coat is simply an acrylic black paint. I then, using chalk, mark off the area where I want to place the majority of the steampunk gears.
Taking the prepared craft foam with eyelets, I begin the gluing process. I tried a couple of different glues and ended up using E6000, but even so, I found it necessary to use rubber bands to hold it in place until dried enough to hold. I had to work in sections, as I could only hold about two at a time. Continue this until the bottle is covered.
Always great feeling when you get to the end. Remember that little molded cloth I showed you early on. Well now you see it's purpose is to be the crowning glory. I added some twine at the top and tied on a couple of glass beads. In addition, I added several pieces of bling, a jeweled owl, ladybug and some chain to help fill in the blanks. I had a second selection of steampunk items which I used to surround the neck area. These are different in that they are smaller and easy to bend into place.
Hoping this detail shows some of the finer features. I took on this project because I wanted to try some new products (craft foam, eyelets) new tools (Crop-a-dile) and new techniques (molding the fabric). I have in mind another fabric molding project and I wanted to make sure I could do it. For that project, I will be using a lighter weight fabric. This turned out almost like a canvas. One everything was in place, I dry brushed a metalic gold paint across the foam craft, the steampunk area and the molded cap.
Resources for this project:See all materials
Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.More info
Published December 15th, 2017 11:23 PM
2 of 3 comments