How do i fix this hole ?


Im going to be a new home owner trying to fix up home

q how do i fix this hole
  21 answers
  • I would cut the sheetrock so you have nice square edges. Replace with a new piece of sheetrock - screw it to the studs, mud/tape and sand. Once it's smooth, prime and paint.

  • Dee Dee on Nov 28, 2021

    I would take the loose pieces out and square off the area and fit a new piece of sheet rock or even a piece of plywood. Fill in the seams with wood filler and paint.

  • on Nov 28, 2021

    Is this a basement? If so you may want to move the outlet up when you fix it, in case of flooding. It seems very low

  • Cheryl A Cheryl A on Nov 28, 2021

    I would replace the outlet it looks old and may not be up to code like the newer ones. Then replace the drywall around it Here is info for you

  • Mogie Mogie on Nov 28, 2021

    Why don't you just request that the seller fix this before you buy the place?

  • William William on Nov 28, 2021

    Cut out the drywall square. Remove the outlet if you can. The tabs on top and bottom go against the drywall tight. Cut a fresh piece of drywall to fit your square cutout. You will need to cut a hole in it the size of the outlet box. Screw the drywall patch into studs. Reinstall the outlet if you removed it.

  • Tuula - Color Me Thrifty Tuula - Color Me Thrifty on Nov 28, 2021

    I would remove the pieces of drywall and replace with nice new piece. Home improvement stores sell drywall repair kits. The outlet might have to be replaced during the process.

  • Annie Annie on Nov 28, 2021

    Take the outlet out, fill in hole with drywall. Patch any seams with drywall mud and then sand smooth once it dries. Then you can replace the outlet and put a proper outlet cover on it.

    Caulk around the edges of wall and brick with clear color caulking when you're finished.

    That being said, if you haven't completed the purchase, ask the seller to make sure this is fixed before you complete purchase.

  • Betsy Betsy on Nov 28, 2021

    Hi Sean: Was the home inspected? If so, the inspector should have seen this and demanded that it be fixed before the home can be deemed habitable. It looks close to the ground, and is it outside? If so, it's a definite hazard. You need to have your own home inspector check out the house before buying it, the seller's inspector, sometimes, will let things slide for the seller if they're friends. The entire thing needs to be replaced and it looks like it's in upside down, like the home owner did his own electric work. I'd definitely hire my own inspector, or at least get the city inspector in to look at this. There may be other wonky things done to this house that need to be addressed before you buy it.

    Good luck

  • You'll need to replace the sheetrock. I would put an outlet cover over it, too.

  • Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Nov 28, 2021

    Hello. In a situation like this it’s easier to cut out a rectangle in the shape of your area and replace it cleanly rather than trying to patch something so broken and uneven. Using a utility knife to make the uniform cut out in your drywall and exactly mirror that with new sheet rock. Mud -tape and paint.

  • Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Nov 29, 2021

    You could plaster around it but you need to build it up maybe put some wood around it

  • Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Nov 29, 2021

    Cut away the area and replace with a small piece of drywall. Screw into place. Then you can putty and sand until smooth and paint.

  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Nov 29, 2021

    This should be fixed by the seller before the closing, should not pass inspection before selling.

  • Here are 4 easy methods to fix holes in sheet rock:

  • This shows how and you could cut out a hole for the outlet:

  • Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Nov 30, 2021

    Can you describe a bit better .. picture is not telling the whole story

  • Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on Nov 30, 2021

    Is that concrete or tile

  • Carefully trim the existing into some straight lines and then cut a new piece of drywall the same shape. Hopefully there's something behind to screw it to, then patch with joint compound and paint. Or, if this is overwhelming, call up a handyman.

  • I think it would be best to just cut th damaged sheetrock then replace it with a new piece of sheetrock having to screw it to the studs, tape, and sand.

  • Jeremy Hoffpauir Jeremy Hoffpauir on Dec 07, 2021

    Looks like you need to do some sheetrock work. Cut a nice square around the outlet and do a sheet rock patch. This repair kit works well.