China Hutch Repurposed Into a Flat Screen TV Stand
What to do with a 1960's era china hutch? My daughter needs a flat screen tv stand. So now I have a purpose, just needed a plan. Decided I didn't want to fool with the top half and gave that away to a friend. The base was perfect for a tv stand. It only took me a year to decide what colors and how I wanted it to look like. Still needs a top and knobs. Haven't quite decided on both but see what you think.
This is the piece - how it looked at my in-laws house. They have passed on and we do not have room for all their furniture. It was too good of a piece to give away so I decided to repurpose for my daughter and son-in-law. There were some issues - doors with separation issues, hardware knobs broken, etc. But overall- in really good shape. They are post-docs just starting out.
Removed the top hutch. Then flipped the base over and removed the skirting. I then selected legs at Lowe's and had to figure out how to mount them.
Found some scrapped pieces of wood and used it to fill in so that I could then mount the legs to the underside.
As you can see, the legs are now mounted.
I sanded the entire piece to remove the shiny finish. I started with 180 and finished up with 220.
When the hutch top was removed the base went with it so I had to place a shelf. I had a leftover edge piece from another project that was perfect in hiding the shelf edge. The wood for the shelf came from Lowe's found a length that I didn't have to cut much off in order for it to fit. I then glued and used finishing nails to attach the decorative strip to the edge of the wood shelf.
I stained the entire outside and shelf with a very dark stain - Minwax Antique Black. I primed the interior - two coats.
I then painted two coats of Debi's Design Diary DIY Paint - Mermaid Tail. Love, love, love the color. That's why it took a year for painting - I wanted the right shade of turquoise!
This chalk paint was easy to work with and to distress all I needed was a damp cloth.
I also repainted the hinges - oil rubbed bronze. Two coats and a thorough drying period.
Another look at the distressing.
I painted several coats of the interior with Valspar eggshell interior paint - Volcanic Ash. Appropriate as my son-in-law is a vulcanologist!
Finally, I applied a colorwash a shade darker than the interior paint color - I was able to get a Valspar sample in Lincoln Cottage Black. I followed up with a couple of coats of polycrylic to protect the finish. I still have to decide on a top and hope to find some unusual antique knobs to complete this project. Right now the base is "curing" inside my house and nearly ready for its' permanent home!
Thought I would add a picture of the piece - still have to decide on knobs and a stone top. My daughter and son-in-law are geologists so it has to be special!
Published April 6th, 2016 10:08 AM
2 of 3 comments