Don't know what is leaving these tiny poops, but it's not mice.

+102
We have been finding these little droppings every day, and thought it might be droppings from mice, but we set out mouse traps and never caught one. So we think it has to be something else leaving those droppings. Can someone help? We don't have any of these anywhere in the house, just that spot, and in a corner outside below my front room window. These are all taken from the patio, where this is located.
q don t know what is leaving these tiny poops but it s not mice, outdoor living, pest control, This is taken behind our grill I took this a little close to be sure it would show up
This is taken behind our grill, I took this a little close to be sure it would show up.
q don t know what is leaving these tiny poops but it s not mice, outdoor living, pest control, I used a measuring tape to try and size it the best I could
I used a measuring tape to try and size it the best I could.
q don t know what is leaving these tiny poops but it s not mice, outdoor living, pest control, Here s a better one These droppings tend to be mostly behind the grill
Here's a better one. These droppings tend to be mostly behind the grill.
q don t know what is leaving these tiny poops but it s not mice, outdoor living, pest control
  • Lee Cunningham Green Lee Cunningham Green on Apr 24, 2015
    Well they are droppings it could be any number of small animals, and even if you didn't see the mice it doesn't mean they are innocent, from these pictures it looks like rat droppings.

• Stella Love Stella Love on Apr 24, 2015
    Mice. And without the right bait you will never catch them. I superglue a piece of dog food to the trap. They then can't just take it way to eat later.

• Sylvia Stallings Sylvia Stallings on Apr 25, 2015
    Looks like mice to me. It's hard to tempt them when they aren't hungry. I'd load a trap with peanut butter. They have a hard time resisting that. Do you think they are nesting inside the grill?

• Carole Carole on Apr 25, 2015
    If they are bigger than a grain of rice they are rats. If rice grain size or smaller they are mice. Just because you don't trap any mice does not mean you don't have them. They are quite smart.

• Hope Williams Hope Williams on Apr 25, 2015
    If it's behind your grill, it could be droppings off the grill! Sounds odd, but if they smear, see if water will bead on top of the smear. If it beads, it's the blackened goop that falls off food. Then when you move it to use it, they come out the bottom. Try also to empty your catch can on your grill. It might be over flowing.

• S S on Apr 25, 2015
    In Florida the Anole lizards and the frogs leave droppings as big as mice.

• BBB BBB on Apr 25, 2015
      I think the lizards have some white on the poop.

• Sue Klinedinst Sue Klinedinst on Apr 25, 2015
    Could be bat poop. It looks a lot like mouse poop. Go outside around 8:30pm (dusk wherever you are)and sit and watch the top of your house. It is a little early in the season to see many. Bats are here in my Pa location from April til October.Most bats are harmless and each one will eat up to 2000 mosquitoes a night. If you move the grill and the droppings stay at the window, look for bats. Or the mice could just be coming to eat the leftovers from the grill. If you move the grill and droppings follow the grill, then you probably have mice.

• Xie Xie on Apr 25, 2015
    Rats. I thought I had mice once but didn't catch anything in the traps. Turns out the traps were too small. Rats are very intelligent. They figure out each trick so you have to change up your tactics.

• Pat Phillips Pat Phillips on Apr 25, 2015
    Look up above for bats under a shutter.

• May May on Apr 25, 2015
    It's lizards I have it around my windows and I clean them every day. The lizards come into the windows and catch bugs that are small enough to get in through the small cracks between the Window seal and the screen.

• John seigel John seigel on Apr 25, 2015
    Congratulations! You've got bats living under your shutters. They are eating hundreds of mosquitoes every evening and making your outdoor living more enjoyable.

• Wanda.ll Wanda.ll on Apr 25, 2015
    make sure you don't touch what ever bait you use with bare hands. they can smell you and wont take bait. I got my bait at feed store.

• Victoria Bewley Victoria Bewley on Apr 25, 2015
    We had that and was positive it was mice, but it was roaches! We put out borax (ours was in the attic and if you have children or pets, be careful with borax. It is toxic.

• Wendy Macqueen Wendy Macqueen on Jan 01, 2019

It's boric acid that you must be careful with, not borax. Borax is used in laundry and things. It's anti microbial and anti fungal, softens water, etc. Boric acid CAN be harmful and is used in bait for roaches, etc.

• Shirley Howard Larson Shirley Howard Larson on Apr 25, 2015
    looks like frog poop to me.

• Hailey Hailey on Apr 25, 2015
    If they are outside your house and you are sure that your house is secure, can you just somehow clean your grill and maybe move it, and the mice or bats or whatever won't bother you anymore? Just make sure all your vents are screened securely and there are no holes anywhere a mouse could enter. We had mice when we moved into our house (a gift from the previous owners), but once we screened over everything and made sure to caulk all holes our cats took care of the issue for us.

• Ros Ros on Apr 25, 2015
    I don't know what this is but have been taught by an expert that roach droppings can be surprisingly big.

• Sherry R Sherry R on Apr 25, 2015
    If smaller than a grain of rice, you may have bats entering/exiting in that area.

• Thomas Justagato Thomas Justagato on Apr 25, 2015
    I saw a program on TV about a similar scenario. They were roach droppings. Those roaches are after what is on the grill. Put out some boric acid. Toxic, yes, but that will cure the problem. Then, give your grill a really good cleaning.

• David Jones David Jones on Apr 25, 2015
    Skink

• Denisehffmann Denisehffmann on Apr 25, 2015
    looks like frog poo to me- we have frogs and toads on our back porch that leave the same droppings

• Debbie Bond Debbie Bond on Apr 25, 2015
    Bats we have them in out garage

• Maggie Maggie on Apr 25, 2015
    I agree with everyone on the roach idea. But don't panic and think you are infested with the German house type. You would see them when you opened the doors of your grill. Would be no doubt. It's most likely what we call around here the big tree roaches. They are about 2 to 3 inches long and live outside. They will venture into our homes, but for the most part are outside. They are just feasting at your grill and moving along. Could only be one or two. You can put out boric acid, but the best way is to make sure they nothing to feed on.

• Susan Kraut Susan Kraut on Apr 25, 2015
    Looks like raccoon poop to me.

• Christine Christine on Apr 25, 2015
    I have poop just like that in our house but it's ONLY turning up in the upstairs bathroom sinks at night. Any thoughts?

• See 1 previous
    • Melissa V Melissa V on Jan 17, 2017
      I'd go with the roach idea. Close all of your drains-sinks, tubs, showers-and see if it stops. If it does, you have roaches. They love water pipes and come out when it's dark. If there's one, there's a ton! Call a pro.

• Tina Krenz Tina Krenz on Apr 25, 2015
    The problem is, if they were cockroaches, wouldn't they scatter when we open the grill doors? I know they're not raccoon droppings, I looked that up, but their droppings are way too big for this.

• Kris Kris on Apr 25, 2015
    I have the same thing in the corner only of my front porch by my front door. Nothing is out there...no grill, or anything else, just droppings in one spot. I swept them up and noticed more a few days later in the same spot :/

• Tom Brogdon Tom Brogdon on Apr 25, 2015
    gecko

• Donna Holcombe Donna Holcombe on Apr 25, 2015
    Frogs I have had them 4to 5 at a time climbing up my sliding glass door, leaving the same on the glass !

• Genie Krivanek Genie Krivanek on Apr 25, 2015
    Call an exterminator....NOW! It could be any one of a number of things, some of them dangerous....some of them deadly!!! Do NOT try to figure it out and fix it yourself. Call now! Whatever it is could cause you to become extremely ill from the droppings and the pee. Call right away and take care of this!!!!

• See 1 previous
    • Morgan Morgan on Apr 29, 2017
      You don't live in an area with Hanta virus, do you? It's THAT serious.

• Bob284398 Bob284398 on Apr 26, 2015
    Don't rule ot mouse or rat. I saw the same droppings for several months.Set mouse traps then set rat traps,glue strips,poison,boric acid...no luck.Considered geckos.Went to an exterminator DIY shop,even brought some droppings to show him.He compared them to some he had for reference.Really couldn't pinpoint it either.Well,it was a rat.He esaped when I had some wall repair done.He had a stash of gummie bears all piled up in a little spot in the wall.Like a squirrel hoards for the winter.

• Linda Barrett Dirksen Linda Barrett Dirksen on Apr 26, 2015
    River rat poop!

• Capernius Capernius on Apr 28, 2015
      @Linda Barrett Dirksen you call them river rats, we here in Indiana call them musk rats... and mighty fine eating they are too!

• Cynthia A Green Cynthia A Green on Apr 26, 2015
    Rabbitt???

• See 1 previous
    • Capernius Capernius on Apr 28, 2015
      @Cynthia A Green Rabbits will not roost behind a grill unless that grill is in a meadow somewhere... have to think of it this way.... what kind of animal would live in a wall, have oblong scat(droppings), ... and any other identifying things he/she/it have left behind...

• Juliannmoore3 Juliannmoore3 on Apr 26, 2015
    shrews they're tinier than mice and they don't like trap they like the food the poison

• Capernius Capernius on Apr 28, 2015
      @Juliannmoore3 If you only have a few Shrews (like 5 or 6 or less) then do not trap them, poison them or try to get rid of them in any way.... the reason why I say this, is because a Shrew is a predatory animal...they will kill, and eat: Mice chipmunks(some call them ground squirrels just about any insect they find moles & voles (when they find them) and just about anything else that is the size of a chipmunk or smaller. So it is actually beneficial to have Shrews n your property.

• Cynthia Cheetham Cynthia Cheetham on Apr 26, 2015
    It is bats

• Maryann Maryann on Apr 26, 2015
    I think you have mice.What do you use on your traps we use peanut butter they like that,or lemon cookie that has filling in it.Good luck!!!

• looks like rats. I have tree rats that attack my orange tree every night. every morning I wake and find oranges on the patio, half eaten, with those poops all around. Rats are smart and avoid the traps. Get those big black plastic traps and put a glob of peanut butter as bait. Leave a few of them out there at night. Also, I had rats that made a rats nest in the bottom of the BBQ grill!! Have you checked the underside of that grill?? Looks like they are bringing in grass or straw to pad their nest.

• One Crazy Lady One Crazy Lady on Apr 27, 2015
    Quite possibly geckos. I get them over our sink a lot. Heaps in Brisbane.

• See 1 previous
    • Carol May Carol May on Apr 30, 2015
      @Capernius True! These would have to be left by VERY large geckos!

• Sue Sanders Sue Sanders on Apr 27, 2015
    My guess would be roaches except think it would be distributed over a larger area not confined to a specific area. Have you noticed water bugs...very large roaches. Think I would get out the spray.

• Capernius Capernius on Apr 28, 2015
    Lady Krenz; I claim not to be an expert in the field of animal scat, nor do I claim anything at all save trying to help a Lady out with a wee problem. I have checked many websites & found nothing specific to your quandary... the best I can tell you of, it appears that you may have a linx or some other feline type animal... if it is a lynx, do not corner it, for its claws are like razor blades & its teeth? I would feel safer wrestling a crocodile. A lynx does not need a lot of room but in a defensive position, it is best that you make a way for it to leave, and have some food at or near his/her point of exit. Lastly, I wish to convey to you that this is a guess at best....I could be out in the swamp with this...way off base?

• Nita Wilson Nita Wilson on Apr 28, 2015
    Frogs

• Tina Krenz Tina Krenz on Apr 28, 2015
    To all of you trying to help me, this is what I found out that it wasn't : it's not a rabbit, frog, gecko, river rat, lynx, roaches, or rats. The only thing left is a bat which I do have a bat house on the south side of my house. Both, my husband and I aren't really for sure that it's a bat leaving those droppings, but we still need to know. We live in Moore OK; and been told that they do get bats here. We've only been here since Sept.2012. So, I appreciate any info you can come up with.

• See 1 previous
    • Kelly Stone Kelly Stone on Jul 08, 2019

Squirrels

• Connie Connie on Apr 28, 2015
    Toads can leave some good size dropping. They are harmless and do a good job of eating insects. Find out what you have before you exterminate any thing.

• Dee Dee on Apr 29, 2015
    Do you have a university anywhere nearby? See if their Biology/Biological Sciences department can give you any help in identification, or any suggestions. I work at a Uni in Canada and we get public service calls all the time, and do what we can to identify, inform, and make logical suggestions. No guarantees, but no fear-mongering either! Also, good to remind people of the cost/benefit or critical thinking about problem solving . . . sometimes solving one problem creates another (e.g. kill all the bats and you encourage mosquito populations; confine all the cats and the mouse population increases; if you have a lot of snakes it might be because you have a lot of mice that are providing food for the snakes . . . )

• Texanforever Texanforever on Apr 29, 2015
    Look like bat droppings. If there are eaves above or small openings, then the bats are living there and coming out at night. If you want to rule out mice, or rats or anything that crawls, use sticky traps. But I really think its bats.

• Allison K Allison K on May 01, 2015
    "We don't have any of these anywhere in the house, just that spot, and in a corner outside below my front room window." I think you might find that it's bat droppings. The bats are probably living somewhere behind the wood trim of your window. We have bats that live between the slats of our attic vents and we find this on our driveway constantly. The good news is that bat droppings are the best type of fertilizer so if you sweep this up and put it into compost it really adds nutrients to the compost composition.

• Alita Knupp Kiss Alita Knupp Kiss on May 01, 2015
    bats--looks the same as mice droppings--we have them in our attic--and occasionally in our house downstairs

• Sharon La Tour Sharon La Tour on May 06, 2015
    Dear, You have bats in your belfry! LOL. Looks like bat poo to me.

• Terry S Terry S on May 06, 2015
    Could be coming from a spider's web

• Elisa Elisa on Sep 19, 2015
    The bat could be living inside or under the grill base. if you can't locate it, you may want to watch to see it fly out. We had a small opening in an eave of a bumped out sliding door and it was getting in. We waited for it to come out and sealed off the hole with spray foam. Our cat had spotted it first, we noticed she kept trying to reach up to the same spot each evening...get a cat.

• UpState UpState on Jan 12, 2016
    Could likely be an inside squirrel ... What do they smell like ?....if the poop smells like fruit; it's certainly a domestic squirrel.

• Jacqueline Bennett Jacqueline Bennett on Jan 21, 2016
    definately some kind of rodent

• Deltamom Deltamom on Jan 22, 2016
    Definitely rodent poo. Could be attic rats. They tend to make and stay in their trails. So the poo lands in one place. Call Terminex for sure. They can show you where the rodents are entering the house.

• Maryann Maryann on Jan 22, 2016
    Why not just fix a trap with some peanut butter and see if you catch one and go from there.

• Lori Wells Lori Wells on Jan 22, 2016
    Mouse poop. I bait snap traps with a mix of peanut butter and cheese rolled into a ball. If they are stealing the bait, wrap a piece of thread around it to tie it on. It makes them tug at it and snaps the trap. I use the old fashioned wooden kind. Seems to work the best. They are probably living in the grill.

• Lulu Lulu on Jan 24, 2016
    Yes, mouse scat it is. They hate cinnamon powder and peppermint oil. Find their entry points into the house and stuff the gaps/holes with steel wool, Sprinkle the steel wool with peppermint oil. Should help. Move your furniture around a bit. You may find a nest.Put cashmere+silk in boxes.These beasties will turn your good clothes into lace,if any clothes have slipped to the floor. I,m looking for a Head mouse to send a large bill to.

• See 1 previous
    • UpState UpState on Sep 05, 2016
      Very sad to hear that Goofy now has no fingers....used to have 8 clumsy ones....so very sad.

• Valerie Valerie on Mar 25, 2016
    To me it looks like gecko droppings.

• Sandi Cayia Sandi Cayia on Jun 03, 2016
    bats, you said by window, they are living in space over window. I experienced this on a porch.

• Cheryl Cheryl on Aug 11, 2016
    Could be a chipmunk or a gopher .

• Rory McBean Rory McBean on Jan 16, 2017
    I vote for cockroach poo.

• See 1 previous
      Ooh, icky! I'm sorry that my vote won the race (refraining from inserting snarky relevant comparison to another recent election).
      Try roach motels and an insecticide specifically for roaches. Just please be careful if you have kids or pets. The motels are not toxic but do a good job of catching the the buggers. Unfortunately the motelst don't deal with irradication.

• Johnchip Johnchip on Jan 16, 2017
    Use some glue traps where you found the poop. rodent/bat droppings for sure. No matter who it is (even roach types) glue traps will catch something and you will know better. If the glue trap is taken, you got rats or something bigger, then you need a cage trap, like a have-a-heart.

• Jhunt10 Jhunt10 on Jan 16, 2017
    In Florida the green tree frogs leave poo like this!!!

• Alm5003132 Alm5003132 on Jan 17, 2017
    I make sure the kitchen is clean every night. If they find food you will never get rid of them. Once they are unable to find food they will definitely eat the green pellets (mice bait) and die. Please make sure there are no holes in the walls, under radiator etc. I found a hole in my pantry wall which they made from the outside of the house. I covered it with cement. Really works! If it is any other critter I'm sure this will work.

• Alm5003132 Alm5003132 on Jan 17, 2017
    I had a mice invasion in my home. The mice terrified me because there were so many. I feared that we would become infected with the hanta virus. I think they are nasty and a serious health hazard.

• UpState UpState on Jan 17, 2017
    Yes. Mice are nasty.
    Gotta get 'em !
    (Rats are nastier)

• Mary Morvant Mary Morvant on Jan 17, 2017
    Looks like the roach door to me, like from those big flying cock roaches.

• Dfm Dfm on Jan 22, 2017
    there was a fire at my parents place when i was still in high school. while the basement dried out from the surge of water, the place was infested with mice. live catch traps at every mice hole we could find including the drains. the most one trap caught at a single time was 50 mice. those mice got a terminal bath in the rain water barrel. we didn't set out poison d. t. the cats- they reg. brought us "toys" or "gifts". one of the cats brought me a present when i was sleeping. he dropped a mouse on my bed- have you ever been ran over by a mouse? it was the quickest wake up i ever did at- 3 am.

• Tammy Monette Meadows Tammy Monette Meadows on Jan 22, 2017
    I live in North Carolina and I had the same thing on my front porch. It was the little green tree frogs. They sure do make a mess, even on the siding.

• Dfm Dfm on Jan 22, 2017
    the above said, daylight would come and no mice in site. you wouldn't know they were there. i'd skip any poison bate- the mice go and hide, you'll smell them but may not locate the corpse. better glue boards or live trap. you know where to find them.

• Akasha.unboxed Akasha.unboxed on Apr 29, 2017
    I live in south east Texas on the water. It is droppings from a Palmetto bug. Or cock roach. Palmetto's average from one to three inches in size. More than likely they have found a food or water source where you found the Droppings.
    I too thought i had mice on my porch (three season) but turned out to be very large water bugs eating out if my garbage can nightly.
    Solution? Simple and cheap.
    Borax or lavender. Either will do the trick. Borax to kill. Lavender to ward off.

• Pam Pam on Sep 28, 2017
    If this is over an opening in your house, consider bats

• Lisa Mastrogiovanni Lisa Mastrogiovanni on Oct 06, 2017
    Where do you live?

• Kim Farley Kim Farley on Aug 20, 2018

hey I have the same problem but it covers my entire deck. We have had opossums, raccoons, squirrels, chipmunks and palmetto bugs. We live in GA where it's been extremely rainy this year and this is the first year with this mystery crap. It's small and elongated but not uniform. We can blow everything off and the next day we are covered again. They are either crawling across the top of our house before dawn from the tree's or coming into the house in between roof and walls. I am terrified of them hurting my cats or me poisoning them. They move day and night. It's 5:30pm and they are moving around. HELP!!!

• Victoria Jostes Victoria Jostes on Sep 22, 2018

A bat. Am thinking it's roosting over the spot where you've found scat. Could be holing up inside those openings at the base of your grill. I have one roosting in the top corner of my back porch. It leaves dirty smudges on the siding where they squeeze into a nook/cranny, as well as scat below.  Some bat species are actually endangered. A bat can eat its body weight in insects every night, including skeeters. Also tree frogs come along to my porch at night to catch insects; their scat looks similar. And yes, will soon get out the power washer again. :o)

• Sus49729699 Sus49729699 on Oct 16, 2020

This is exactly what I have near the front door. I’m scared af they might get into the house.

I detest any rodents. I’m afraid to put poison outside, fear other critters may get into it.

Any suggestions beside selling my house.

• Kirsten Ruiz Kirsten Ruiz on Oct 23, 2020

looks like rats

• Melissa Melissa on Mar 27, 2021

Late to the party, but palmetto bugs (water bugs we call them here, but they look like giant roaches) can leave these kinds of droppings. They are very difficult to tell apart from mouse droppings, though.

• Saeed Saeed on Apr 18, 2021

Found similar droppings last week when a lizard came inside our house, couldn’t catch it n even see it. When I saw droppings, was positive it should be from lizard. I became a bit worried this week as saw lots of droppings everywhere with some damage on the food package. So, I suspected it might be a mice. Thankfully, last night I caught it, it was a mice

• Zexi Ren Zexi Ren on Jul 20, 2021

If you are in Texas where I just moved to, it's very possible they are frogs' droppings. This is my first house and on the front door and patio I saw exactly what's in your picture, but not that close to each other. I asked some local friends and frogs is their answer :)

• Msu53331456 Msu53331456 on Oct 03, 2021

They look like mice droppings. I opened my grill once and two mice jumped out! Needless to say I start grill and burn off everything before covering.

I've only used regular mouse traps with a tiny bit of peanut butter smeared on them. I use the plastic regrettable traps so I don't have to touch the dead mice. I used inside enclosed porch, not outside.

Inside my home I plugged in sonic wave type deterrents in a bunch of outlets. I haven't had a problem since. Flies of all sorts try to get out of house as fast as they can as well. I have 2 Peekingese and a cat and these don't bother them at all.

Hope this helps.

• Deb K Deb K on Nov 10, 2021

Hello. definitely mice, here's a few ways to catch them,

https://www.medicinenet.com/whats_the_fastest_way_to_get_rid_of_mice/article.htm