How do I get rid of mouses in the house?

+9
The house in questions appears to be infested with mice. Any one have any suggestion on how to get rid of them ? Exterminator is quoting over $400.00.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

• Deb Deb on Apr 08, 2018
    I use mouse traps baited with peanut butter. Also, glue boards with bird seed works, but I prefer the traps. Some traps are really easy to set making reusing easy and sometimes you still have your bait left. The easy traps look sorta like a giant spring type clothes pin. Brand name Victor.

• Dfm Dfm on Apr 08, 2018
    A live catch trap...will hold about 50 mice captive. I suggest burial in water...

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Apr 08, 2018
    Hi Patricia,
    I found an article from Good Housekeeping that might help you. There is one section that says "Skip the DIY" - they don't mean everything, just certain ideas that haven't been proven. As you do this, consider the cost of what they explain will work and see if it's more cost effective just to hire a professional. Plus, if you only have 1 quote, get at least 2 more. I hope this helps you. Wishing you the best.

• Pay the money. Heed their advice. And get 2nd and 3rd estimates. Never accept only one estimate. If it truly is an "infestation" it is a huge health hazard to humans and animals alike. Doctor and vet bills will cost far more than $400 in the long run if not handled properly. Weigh the consequences.

If the house in question is vacant you can try to remedy yourself, but I still would bring in the pros for clean up - if extreme, hazard mat crews need to come in to remediate and costs escalate quickly and once they are involved the place must be inspected before a new Certificate of Occupancy can be issued.

See if these sites help you.

Not meant to scare you or dissuade you from handling yourself, just want to provide you with options to do so.

• See 1 previous
    • Yay! You are SO welcome! We are all happy to help. I have had to deal with rats, mice, termites, rattlesnakes, bees, wasps, coyotes, you name it. Sometimes you need a sounding board, hopefully we can provide that for you. Keep us posted and let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Apr 08, 2018
    If you have kids or pets, the best way to go is traps baited with a small dollop of peanut butter, you can use the sticky paper ones under things where you can't put traps, they work really well. Don't use the live traps, they will just invade someone else's house when you relocate them. I have in the past avoided poison as they can die in places where you can't get them, like walls and ceilings, and you have to live with the smell until they are done rotting. Good luck! It will take time to get rid of them all, but it is possible. Close up any little opening outside the house, they don't need but about a half inch to get in.

• Patricia Howard Patricia Howard on Apr 08, 2018
    Thanks for your input

Thanks for taking the time to give your advice, so nice of you. Will give this a try.

• Celeste S Celeste S on Apr 08, 2018
    Please, don't use sticky traps. Mice have been know to chew off their feet to escape. If the mouse is still alive then you would have to throw the Trap and a live Mouse in the trash and it would suffocate or starve to death.