Easy Faux Brick Backsplash DIY
Join us live on Hometalk's Facebook page Tues 11-7-17 at 8pm EST as we show you an easy diy, faux brick backsplash for your kitchen. You won't believe how easy and gorgeous this in! If you want to make a quick update to your kitchen, you need this DIY!
For this project we are using Heritage Collection All In One Paint by Heirloom Traditions. We've chosen this paint because it is the look of chalk paint without the need to wax or top coat. Yes it is that durable! We're all about easy DIY at Heirloom Traditions.
We'll also be using Venetian Texture Medium, also by Heirloom Traditions. This is a paint thickening additive that you add to your paint to create texture, chippy looks, etc with any chalk style paint.
And lastly, we're using an embossing brick roller that we found on Amazon to create the brick texture for us.
Links for all of these products are below.
You'll have to check out our video to see the full demonstration, but here are the basic steps.
1. Mix Venetian Texture Medium (VTM) into your All In One Paint in your desired color per the instructions on the VTM jar. Allow it thicken per the instructions.
2. Using a putty knife, apply the Paint+VTM mixture to your wall where you want to create your faux backsplash. Work in small areas. Our roller is 7" wide so we'll be working in 7" strips along the horizontal part of our backsplash area until we reach a break or wall.
3. Use your brick embossing roller and roll into the paint to create a brick pattern.
4. Allow to dry thoroughly. This can take up to 24 hours. You can stop at this point and be done. Your backsplash is ready for normal wear & tear after 48 hours and fully cured hardness after 30 days.
5. If additional depth & dimension is desired, you can do a number of things.
a. Use Weathered Wood Antiquing Gel, either on the entire surface or strategically place on certain bricks to add a warm greige tone to your painted finish. Apply per the instructions on the jar. The Heritage Collection Antiquing Gel also has a built in top coat, so once this is dry, you're all set.
b. Use another color of All In One Paint and dry brush color(s) strategically on the brick. Be sure to use All In One Paint here so you don't have to top coat afterwards. Who wants to do more work!
Since our demo will be done live, thank you to Pinterest for always providing great Inspiration Photos!
Here is another great inspiration photo from Pinterest showing strategically placed dry brushing to add depth & dimension to your brick backsplash (per #5 above).
I'm loving this Pinterest inspiration. What are the other things you could create with All In One Paint, VTM and a brick roller? What about a beautiful faux brick focal wall? I'm loving this!
- Venetian Texture Medium by Heirloom Traditions (https://www.amazon.com/Venetian-Texture-Medium-paint-additive/dp/B075VB4GMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509987199&sr=8-1&keywords=venetian+texture+medium+heirloom)
- Embossing Brick Roller (https://www.amazon.com/DealMux-Empaistic-Pattern-Painting-Painter/dp/B072MT6P8Q/ref=pd_sbs_60_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Q2YQ696Z7A63CEAGSMHX)
- Manor House All In One Paint (creamy, off white) (https://www.amazon.com/Manor-House-Heritage-Collection-Chalk/dp/B01N0HAXIY/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1509987468&sr=1-1&keywords=manor+house+heirloom+traditions)
- Weathered Wood Antiquing Gel by Heritage Collection (https://www.amazon.com/Weathered-Antiquing-Thick-Glaze-built/dp/B01N0HB5D9/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1509987504&sr=1-1&keywords=weathered+wood+antiquing+gel)
- Additional Color Options Below
- Cashmere All In One Paint (white) (https://www.amazon.com/Cashmere-Heritage-Collection-Chalk-Style/dp/B01N44D7Z3/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1509987535&sr=1-1&keywords=cashmere+heirloom+traditions)
- Cappuccino All In One Paint (tan) (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N677ZYD/ref=twister_B01MSPJHCO?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1)
- Iron Gate All In One Paint (black) (https://www.amazon.com/Heritage-Collection-Chalk-Style-Paint/dp/B01NCAOAQI/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1509987582&sr=1-1&keywords=iron+gate+heirloom+traditions)
- Cobblestone All In One Paint (gray) (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSPJJRQ/ref=twister_B01N0HAX9Q?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1)
- Cathedral All In One Paint (charcoal) (https://www.amazon.com/Cathedral-Heritage-Collection-Chalk-Style/dp/B01NA9MB76/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1509987632&sr=1-1&keywords=cathedral+heirloom+traditions)
- Tuscan Wheat All In One Paint (golden brown) (https://www.amazon.com/Tuscan-Wheat-Heritage-Collection-Chalk/dp/B01MXOPJD6/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1509987650&sr=1-1&keywords=tuscan+wheat+heirloom+traditions)
Published November 6th, 2017 12:12 PM