How do you get rid of paint lines on furniture?

+20

I tried to flip a dresser by painting it white. I tried sanding it down, used primed, used rustoleum chalk paint, and a top coat. also, theres a yellowish tint to the white paint in some areas. How do I get rid of the paint lines and the yellow tint and scratches?

q how do you get rid of paint lines on furniture
  • Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Aug 19, 2021

With chalk paint, you need to use a high quality brush and add a bit of water to prevent lines. As for yellow tint, it is most likely your top coat. You will need to sand it down and start over to get rid of it.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Aug 19, 2021

I have found that the cheaper brushes leave these lines in the paint, especially in chalk paint, sand off and re-do. So sorry.

• The trick is to use a quality brush.

• Betsy Betsy on Aug 19, 2021

Hi Pushtee: It looks to be raised grain. Never-the-less, you may have to sand down the bumpy parts and repaint. You can use a product called Citristrip to get the paint off, sand smooth and then prime using something like Zinzer or Kilz to keep any sap or whatever it is that's seeping through, from doing so. Then paint. I suggest using a roller next time.

Good luck

• Maura White Maura White on Aug 19, 2021

I agree that you'll have to sand it off and make the paint less thick. Better brush helps too.

• I agree with a higher quality brush. I also try to get a new brush with each new project, because I feel that when I wash them and let them dry the bristles never get as soft as they were originally which can result in lines.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Aug 20, 2021

I thought I was the only person who did this. I keep my old brushes for odd projects like sweeping out a tight area and other cleaning tasks. I found a good, economical supply of good brushes and loaded up. The worst thing is to have a project ruined by a brush that isn't up to par.

• William William on Aug 19, 2021

Hope these help

https://www.hometalk.com/diy/paint/furniture/how-to-paint-with-chalk-paint-a-chalk-paint-dresser-makeover-44422797

https://www.hometalk.com/diy/paint/furniture/how-to-paint-with-chalk-paint-on-furniture-43277716

https://www.hometalk.com/diy/paint/furniture/painting-furniture-with-chalk-paint-40012712

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Aug 19, 2021

Hello. Please consider popping by this bloggers website for her wonderful chalk painted furniture rehabs. She details useful repair products, techniques and has a nice professional result. Many of her furniture items are from the thrift store or furniture pieces donated to her. She also has tips for removing furniture odors and how to treat the interior drawers, how to repair defects and have a flawless finish.

She uses a special brush and a stain sealer to prevent bleed through.

Including a link below of all of her projects in a gallery fashion. Theres a lot to learning in these posts.

Best wishes with your furniture rehab.

https://www.confessionsofaserialdiyer.com/diy-gallery/

• Mogie Mogie on Aug 20, 2021

Sand this down. Buy a very good brush and apply several thin coats.

• Dee Dee on Aug 20, 2021

You are going to need to sand this down or use citrastrip and start over with a good brush. White paint yellows with a non water base acrylic. I would either buy a Homax spray painter or use Rustoleum spray paint without a brush.

• Annie Annie on Aug 21, 2021

Try rolling the paint instead of brushing. You could also try a foam brush

• Sharon Sharon on Aug 22, 2021

Agree with all of above, and select top coat that is water-based poly so it doesn't yellow the piece. Oil-based poly turns yellow. A good brush is badger brush, and they last a long time if you clean them thoroughly after each use.

That paint must have been very thick to get such lines, even with a cheap brush. Might thin it slightly. I use a mini foam roller to do furniture with, and then drag off with a brush lightly to get rid of texture.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Aug 22, 2021

Besides using a quality brand-name brush, as others above have recommended, be sure to use a brush that is labelled as suitable for the type of paint that you are using.

• Lindsay Aratari Lindsay Aratari on Aug 24, 2021

A foam roller would work best

• Nicole L. Hilse Nicole L. Hilse on Aug 28, 2021

***INVEST IN A PAINT SPRAYER***

Can be pricey but totally worth it.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Sep 04, 2021

Hello, Sand it all down and start again with a knotting compound for where the yellowing or knots are or use a Stain Blocker) then undercoat and topcoat using a roller or thin Gloss paint and a brush. or use the "Paint Roller Poe " system.

• Kristi Kristi on Sep 15, 2021

The yellowing on your white paint may also be the tannins coming out of the wood. I had this happen. I'm told if you put a coat of shellac on before paint color, it will keep this from happening. Worth a try if you're going to take the time to sand down for repainting.