GrandmasHouseDIY
GrandmasHouseDIY
  • Menahga, MN

How to: Build Your Own Butcher Block!

$150

I always knew I wanted a butcher block island some day (check out my posts to see the whole island finished!). It turns out that building your own butcher block is not nearly as hard as I thought it might be! Check us out at www.grandmashousediy.com for more information too!

how to build your own butcher block, countertops, diy, how to, kitchen island, woodworking projects

I found that to build your own butcher block is not all that complicated! With the wonderful resource of my barn to pull from (my grandparents' old wood working shop) I just keep finding more and more material to work with. In this case I knew several years ago exactly what I planned on using for the butcher block on my island - I didn't yet have an island in mind but that wasn't the point! To see the finished island check out my previous post here on Hometalk!

Building it took some time but was extremely easy. Most of the time people do not add brad nails (or any type of nails) to a butcher block, instead they either use biscuits or nothing at all. I wasn't comfortable with that and don't have the tools to do biscuits so I went ahead and put a couple of brads in every board along with the glue. I put two 2x4s down for a flat surface, over a drop cloth in the middle of my kitchen. I took another 2x4 and used that as a flat edge to butt all of the boards up to so that I would remain as straight and flush as possible.

Because my material is a very odd choice for butcher block I knew this would be a rather "unconventional" butcher block counter top. However, I think it turned out nice and I didn't have to cut anything down, I just used the length of the boards that I had on hand. (Why my grandpa had literally a pallet's worth of these little pine boards in the barn I have no idea, I'm darned curious if he had some kind of plan for them). Once everything was nailed and glued together I took my two long clamps and clamped it as hard as I possibly could.

My cost was practically free but if you bought the material I'm guessing it would be about the cost I put at the bottom of this post.

• Wood Slats
  • Wood Glue
  • Clamps

GrandmasHouseDIY

• Mary Beth

I had no idea you could do this as a DIY - awesome info and it turned out beautifully!

• GrandmasHouseDIY

@Mary Beth Thank you! I Will post some updated pictures once we finish the top but we're really happy with it for now :)