How To Create Gorgeous Metallic Painted Dried Giant Allium Flowers

Have you ever had flowers in the garden that were so gorgeous that you wanted to keep them forever and not get rid of them?
I grow giant allium flowers and they are a stunning addition to the garden. Their flower heads look like huge geometric spikes. They are fabulous and very easy flowers to grow.
Giant Allium flowers bulbs are planted in the fall and bloom in late spring or early summer. When left in the garden they change to an equally gorgeous dried flower. I just leave them in the garden till the end of the summer.
This is what they look like in their dried state. I figured this dried beauty needs to be preserved. Luckily spray paint works perfectly on these huge dried blooms.
Since they are such tall flowers the first thing I did was support the stems with bamboo garden stakes attached with floral wire.
Then I put on some rubber gloves and spray painted each one while standing outside with metallic bronze spray paint.
Next I set up a drying station in the garage.
This is how they turned out. I am thrilled that I was able to preserve these gorgeous flowers and it was so simple to do! Stunning flowers like this are very expensive to buy in stores. I was able to make these for the cost of a can of metallic spray paint and some bamboo stakes.
For more details and photographs I invite you to visit the blog Time With Thea.

These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
Time With Thea

• Bj Blyth

Where can I get the bulbs? Do you dig them up each fall or leave them in the ground? I think I'll spray mine silver and turquois.🤔
    • Dolli

Any hardware store in the late summer/ fall. there are different sizes available

• TnKaren

Love your flowers! I was wondering if there are other flowers that can be painted in this way? Maybe Mum's or Zinnias?
    Thanks for sharing your idea.
    • Lynn Goins

Or you could buy silk flowers from Dollar Tree. I think once you spray paint them, it's going to be very close to the same. Eucalyptus would be great painted!!

• Nonie

Hey look at those! I have a bunch in my garden! I never thought to do this! Will surely try it. Thanks for the idea.

How long do they last once spray painted and are they delicate at that point?
    • Susan

Allium’s will last several years or if protected indoors, indefinitely.

sometimes I return theme

to the garden then it depends on the weather.