Makeover of a Mobile Home- Photo Heavy Post!

ATTN: Feel free to check out the updated post on our home here http://www.hometalk.com/11538927/updated-mobile-home-post
Original Post
When we moved into our mobile home....it was to say the least....retro, and not in a good way. Wall to wall brown paneling and tacky fern leaf wall paper was not going to stay. I did a 4 part post on my blog where you can see the transitions, along with the "what was I thinking" moments.
Before- all brown paneling
Before- all brown paneling
dull and brown
dull and brown
more brown
more brown
Painting cupboards and counter tops gave it a light, fresh, modern feel
makeover of a mobile home photo heavy post, diy, doors, home decor
For the kitchen dining area we used paintable wallpaper and for the bottom the torn paper techinque- see blog for details
taking a bright color into the smallest laundry room turned it from a dark dismal corner to a fun place to do laundry....yeah right!
Even old brown doors can be updated, see later photo, adding half round and painting gives a more modern look
the door to the heater/water heater after it got an update
and more brown bedroom before
and more brown bedroom before
bedroom after
bedroom after
wooden ceiling beams were removed- they were only faux
the built in hutch before
the built in hutch before
the after of the book case. Glass removed and painted to match the room in two colors, new center shelves built in
In the living room we placed sheet rock right over the paneling, texturized lightly and painted
Shannon O- Junkflirt

• Gette

What did you do for flooring? That is my first project before I even move in..any suggestions?

• Heartbeat

Is this a single or double wide?

• GG

What kind of paint did you use for the countertops?

• Shannon O- Junkflirt

@GG I made a home made chalk paint, I have used regular paint without plaster of Paris in it to update, I have sealed with different polys. I think the paint "holds up" fine but I find somewhere in the process seepage or leakage happens and certain places discolor or a stain appears. Even though I first sealed with primer, something in the process fails in the final finish over time. If you want perfect results you have to use a product made for countertops, I used one and did a review on my blog, I hated that product and the use, smell and results of it too. HOwever it is more reliable if you can fight through the cons. http://www.asouthernbellewithnorthernroots.com/2012/01/countertop-paint-before-and-after.html

• GG

@Shannon O- Junkflirt Thanks for the info.

• Barbara Maloney Maxwell

You have to use an oil based primer before painting. We did and never had a problem. Of course most rooms have been stuccoed and painted and then some have been painted 3 times due to my ever changing mind!

• Melissa Haynes

What did you do to the cabinets before painting them??? And, what kind of paint did you use??? I have a big project going on in my mobile home and maybe another mobile home soon..... Your pics looks awesome. I may need to ask more questions when I get deeper into this project!

• Shannon O- Junkflirt

I can't remember the paint, but it was a store bought that said for cabinets. We just cleaned well. The paint did not need sealer and has held up well overall. I have not seen anything that I think was the paint but it has been several years so it's possible label or product has changed. I think any good quality paint would do well. I would recommend now (after years of furniture refinishing)cleaning with TSP and sealing with a product like General Finishes top coat, if you didn't find a recommended cabinet paint. Rustoleum has some good paint kit products but I found the countertop paint toxic smelling and unforgiving to work with so I would check online reviews of any options by them.

• Linda

What color is the paint on your kitchen cupboards. I love the whole look😍👌🏻
  • Joyce

What can you do to ceilings? Home is 43 yrs old and needs help. Any ideas 71 yr olds can do?

• Shannon O- Junkflirt

ceiling work is hard, my neck can’t take it! There’s always paint or wallpaper, especially the textured types that are paintable. I say make a great meal and wrangle up some helpers!

• Camacho Nelly

I'm renting Mobil home,wall panels are brown makes home dull looking,I like to put wall paper but if I ever move I need to leave walls original wood panel.is there any wall paper I can easily strip off?

• Erika

Hi, you can find affordable wall paper at Walmart (in the paint department) for around $14.

It has texture and its pre-pasted, very easy to put on walls and to strip off when need it.

• Jeanine Elizalde

What did you do with the ceiling beams? Mine are the original wood/fake wood and I'm leery about painting them.

• Marylou

It is great!!!
  • Fra22350876

colors are a great improvement, but there is not a spare inch on your walls or your furnitiure that you don't have something sitting on it! get rid of some of that and you can really see an improvement and make all your work show up.
    too much STUFF in the rooms.