Recycled Soda Can Wall Art

Are you feeling guilty about those cans of soda your family drinks everyday? Hopefully, you're diligent about recycling but why not make something crafty with all that aluminum? A craft project that's almost unbelievable since it's made out of soda cans and wire hangers and looks absolutely fabulous!
To achieve this look, gather your soda cans, wire coat hangers, E6000 glue, hot glue, clamps, cardboard to make flower patterns, pencil, old scissors, 9"x12" canvases and paint. Although I used chalk and metallic acrylic paints, I would recommend using spray-on primer and metallic paints for better adhesion. Begin by cutting off the ends of the cans first and then down the middle. Be very careful with sharp edges and slivers. Keeping the edges smooth helps to avoid possible pricks. You may want to wear gloves for this, but I had no problems without them.
Next, roll the piece of aluminum in the opposite direction to help flatten.
Draw freehand flower and leaf patterns based on the Horchow flowers* on cardboard and cut out. Next, trace design on the aluminum cans with pencil and cut out using an old pair of scissors.
For the next step, I hand-painted both sides with chalk paint and then, after drying, white pearl metallic acrylic. I applied at least three layers of metallic paint for coverage. I noticed a lifting of paint on the printed side, so I would recommend spray painting with a primer first, and then metallic, for better adhesion. I used what I had on hand.
I mentioned before that this project was Horchow inspired, so I kept referring to the pictures of their flowers to arrange and assemble the flowers I was creating. For the flower stems, I cut pieces of wire from coat hangers, painted them metallic gold and glued them on leaves, using E6000 glue.
Finally, I assembled the flowers on the canvases and glued the pieces together using hot glue.

Don't you just love recycling?

These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
Gail@Purple Hues and Me

• Sue
    Sue

What did you use for the flower centers or how did you make the centers?
    • Dagmar Riley
      Dagmar Riley

I’ve made something similar a few years ago using flower punches and leaf punches as well as die cuts from Sizzix. It made it so much easier then cutting with scissors .
  • Sue Lilly
    Sue Lilly

I had nasty accident as tin is so sharp. Be carful
    • Billie
      Billie

I sure am glad for these... "a-hem" ...SUPERIOR folks who very promptly corrected your error. Good grief! Good reminder for people on your part!

• Lisa
    Lisa

Can you post a copy of the flower templates for me to use? Love love love them!

• Gail@Purple Hues and Me
      Gail@Purple Hues and Me

Gee, thanks Lisa! It's been some years (2015) since I made this and it was done using cutouts that I drew freehand. Unfortunately I didn't save them. Sorry.

• Meera
    Meera

I am very inspired by this project. Looks stunning. Thank you for the idea. My best regards. God bless.🙏🕉

• Lonnie
    Lonnie

great job! I've made aluminum can art flowers & attached them onto driftwood while we were in the remote islands with nothing much else to use or to do, but your's are so elegant & so 3 dimensional & every bit professional looking. An inspiration.