How To Renovate A Small Bathroom On A Budget

When I moved into my current house, I was thrilled because this was the first house I have ever owned with 2 full bathrooms. No sharing the shower with guests! I was so thrilled with having a second bathroom that I didn't really notice how small it was. After I had lived with it for a while, I decided that I needed to do something to upgrade it, even though increasing the size wasn't really an option.
how to renovate a small bathroom on a budget, bathroom ideas, home improvement, how to, small bathroom ideas
Here's what I started with....a very small, functional, bland guest bathroom. One of the biggest factors in keeping your costs low when renovating bathrooms is not to move the plumbing. So I kept the sink, toilet and tub exactly where they were (not that I had a lot of space to move them around, anyway). I also decided to keep the original toilet and tub which also helped with the costs.
My first step (as usual) is to paint the walls (if you've read any of my other posts, you know that I am a color person...so no white walls for me). And then add some interest to the floor with these ceramic tiles that look a little like slate. Using ceramic tiles instead of stone, and installing them myself helped the budget.
Next I splurged a little and added a split limestone accent wall with a Venetian mirror and sconces beside the mirror (replacing the original overhead lighting). I like side lighting rather than overhead lighting in the bathroom because it eliminates shadows and makes it easier to see when you are putting on makeup or shaving.
The new vanity was the biggest splurge...but I liked the look and it provides open shelving for towels and toilet paper...easy access for guests!
The new sink and faucet give the bathroom a spa-like feeling.
The window treatment and shower curtain add a little pattern to the bathroom.
Last step? More functional than decorative...cut a hole in the linen closet door so that the cats can get to their kitty litter. Lets cats in...keeps dogs out...don't have to look at the kitty litter box...an all around winning solution.
The finished bathroom looks a lot more polished than it did before, even if it is still small!
For more details on the renovation steps and costs, click the link below to see the full post.

Wanda @ From House To Home