YUM! Grow Mushrooms In Coffee Grounds

Do you know that it is super easy and fun to grow yummy mushrooms at home, in used coffee grounds and cardboard, indoors and outdoors in all seasons! Today I am excited to share with you our fun journey, with more tips and resources at the end!
This simple method requires no complicated sterilization. Below is a video of how fast they grew in just 4 days!
Why coffee grounds and cardboard? Because they are a match made in mushroom heaven! Coffee grounds are rich in nutrients, but can contaminate easily. Corrugated cardboard - most are untreated in the USA- is not as rich and delicious to competing molds and bacteria, and the corrugation allows room for air and for the mycelium (mushroom roots) to run.
To start, ask for a bag of hot-off-the-press coffee grounds from the lovely people at Starbucks, and soak some cardboard in water 1-2 days prior. The coffee grounds should be used on the same day!
Take a one-gallon plastic container, cut 3 sides of the lid. Poke and cut 4 to 6 small 1/4 size holes to allow air exchange and drainage on the bottom. Wipe the inside and outside of the container with rubbing alcohol.
You also need some quality mushroom spawn( seeds, kind of, which can be found easily online) to start the first batch of mushrooms. You can keep the life cycle going and learn to grow your own mushroom spawn using this same method with mushroom stem bases from your harvest in future.
Layer the materials like how you would make a lasagna, keep the humidity level high, and watch the magic happen!
Mushroom roots started growing in just a few days! Keep the container in the dark for now!
After 2-3 weeks, you will see Dr. Seuss mini forest popping out! Move it into bright shade, and you will have yummy mushrooms in just 3-4 days! We already got several harvests =)
Save the stem base to start your own mushroom spawn!
Ready to jump in? Come check out loads of helpful tips, more details and resources at the link below!
APieceofRainbow

• Karen frederick

Instructions are not clear, layers with cardboard coffee and seeds pkk ok anted on top? Photos are not visible enough!

• Susie McDonald

Hey everyone.

What I’ve done since childhood was either use this method or one of those polystyrene freezer boxes.

I either do as this lady has done or peat you can also use very damp potting soil.

I've never used seeds instead I keep the stalks off mushrooms I bought at the store. cutting off the hard part at the bottom. I then just push them deep into the soil or compost which cardboard and coffee granules are.

Cover well. I found the best place to grow these is by my water heater where it’s warm. I just put the lid back on or use a trash sack around the whole thing.

Every few days check and sprinkle water over it all. The best conditions for a mushroom farm is warm and moist. Change out your compost every few new crops too.

Hope this helps. .

I also grow Potatoes this way but in aplastic bin or big bucket.

• Nicole

Can anything else be grown like this? Not a fan of mushrooms but love this idea

• Kimberly Ann

Is this safe?