Ever Wanted to Make One of Those Dresser Drawer Ottomans?

I've been dying to make a dresser drawer ottoman, but when it came down to it I couldn't find a drawer the size I needed nor the price I wanted to pay. So, I made my own "drawer" and having ottomans for the master bedroom.
Here's one of them completed. Took about four days and I love the look. Cost was approximately $30 for the two.
Cannot find my "start" photos, but, basically, I nailed four pieces of pine plank together to form the box. I then added trim to the "front", to give the appearance of the drawer, added the drawer pull, etc. Inside, I added a small trim ledge to hold the cushion bottom, which is simply a piece of plywood measure to fit inside the "drawer". I decided to leave most of the bottom open, because these babies are quite heavy!
I found fabric I loved at Wal-Mart (I know, I know...I couldn't believe it either), so bought two yards. I cut a thick piece of foam the size of my piece of plywood, then covered that with quilt batting. I laid the cushion upside down, after first laying the fabric on my work table. I stapled fabric to the plywood, saving the corners for last. I'm not the best corner maker by any means, but was happy with the result. You simply place the cushion on the trim inside the ottoman and sit! It was tight, but I had just enough room.
One down, one to go! I chose really chunky feet (found on Etsy for a great price) and painted, sanded (to distress) and stained to match the "drawer". Feet were attached to the ottoman using screws on the bottom boards. Easy peasy.
Finished and headed home! Our Jack Russell, Kenai, is already eyeing them. LOL
A comfy, cozy place to sit and catch up with Hometalk!

• Sally holway

Tried to find "chunky feet" like these for months! Can you remember which Etsy shop carries them? LOVE your ottomans!!!

• D'Vay Davis

Those are beautiful..Can you please tell me where you found the thick foam? I need that thickness for a old day bed. thank you.

• Lori Johansen

@D'Vay Davis I actually bought (Wal-Mart) 3" foam and doubled it. It will stay in place provided you wrap in the batting and pull the fabric tightly when you staple it.

• D'Vay Davis

@Lori Johansen Thank you for the information. I will check it out.

• Lori Johansen

@D'Vay Davis You're welcome! I think Lowe's MAY have thicker foam, but not sure.

• Denahensley

Cute and spring project for living room

• Kat5821506

You can use spay glue to glue the foam pieces together

• Tampagirl

I saved mine from an old couch I had. Also used some of the foam to upgrade my dogs beds

• Lilpixiestixxx

LOL {I sound like I work for them but I don't }I found wonderful thick foam on amazon they had from 1 to 6 inch thick and as big as most sofas I think.

• Patricia Downs

You can also go to an upholstery place for foam as well.

• Melody

The actual cost is much more than 30....did you have most of the supplies on hand?

• Carol Harris

at vay-davis, you can get the foam at most any fabric shop, Joann's have it and I believe Hobby Lobby.

• Toni Smith

Walmart

• Sally Tommas

Could this become end tables wither taller legs? Cover the inside with decoupage and or memontomes or coastal shells. Top with thick glass?

• Lori Johansen

You're only limited by your imagination. :)

• Kathleen Dowling

If the cushion wasn't so tight you could have used the bottom as storage...beautiful ottomans but wasted space in the bottom.

• Susan Johnson

Use the feet from the original dresser

• Lori Johansen

Yes, that'd be the first option, however, I didn't have a dresser. I made the drawers to look like dresser drawers. :)