Stephen Taylor
Stephen Taylor
  • New Zealand

Combined Garden Modular Seating / Retaining Wall / Storage

$400

EDIT For all those who are saying it will rot, read the post
1. the framing is H4 (the stuff they make fence posts and telegraph poles from -- yes it will rot but not in my life time
2. The panels are MARINE GRADE ply - they build boats from that!!
3. The rest is decking - that is designed to be outside !! ;-)
4. I built it in Oct 2015 and no rot so far
I had a large pile of spoil and topsoil from the build of our pool and wanted to put in some seating and storage as well as a retaining wall. So I thought why not combine the lot!
combined garden modular seating retaining wall storage, diy, landscape, outdoor furniture, storage ideas
This was constructed using 4x2 and decking timber along with plywood sheeting, however it could be built from pallets (I just am too idle to dismantle that many pallets)
Firstly I had to dig out the area I wanted, this involved moving approx 12 cubic meters of sandysoil and clay. Unfortunately due to limited access this had to be done by hand and whellbarrow Fun!!
I made the frames ot of 4x2, initially I was going to have 4 seats but after looking at it it I decided that 6 would look better so 7 frames. Each frame had 1x1200 mm, 1x650mm,1x570mm,1x520mm and 1x530mm which had 5 degree angles as shown for the seat back
Assemble the frames, I used 100mm nails (fine carpentry skills there!)
Put in position and brace, note that the "feet" of the frames are buried to give the required sturdiness for a retaining wall
Start panelling out with decking timber
18mm marine ply for seat base cut to fit and screwed in position
12mm ply for seat backs before backfilling screwed into place
Plastic sheet stapled to 12mm ply as rot barrier and backfilled
Arms/drink rests screwed from underneath ( I put in the cushion squabs and then cut the arms to fit to ensure snug fit) The squabs were boat squabs from a local yacht chandler
Access to storage cut out with oscillating saw/jigsaw hole in centre to assist removal
Corner supports screwed in place, I only put one access per 3 seats in but may decide to put more later
Uprights put on to conceal screws
And thats it done, just need to tidy the area in front (a little more digging) and am going to put a fire pit in them plant

• Charlene

Looks awesome now, but what is going to keep the water form sitting and causing the wood to rot?

• Stephen Taylor

The base and back have a plastic sheet between them and the soil and the wood is H4 and marine grade ply, so far (2+ years) there is no rot, the area in front was later dug out and planted (see my firepit post) and is free draining as it is lower than the seating

• Debra Ridley Hurst

Very inventive and gorgeous. Is that a chicken??

• Stephen Taylor

Thanks and yes have about 40 chooks, 20 geese, 20 ducks, 8 sheep,2 goats, 2 dogs and about 20 fish

• Denise

What happens when you get a lot of rain the wall will collapse

• Stephen Taylor

Well it has been standing over 2years now and we had a cat 2 hurricane pass through last week with no damage so it probably is pretty safe!