China Cabinet Makeover (from Traditional to Farmhouse)

As a Furniture Artist, I am always looking for different ways to transform my pieces. For this project I wanted to take a traditional looking china cabinet and transform it into more of a rustic farmhouse style with barnwood and pure white paint.
"Before"
The product I used to back the interior is called "Stikwood". It is real wood planking that you just peel and stick. The exterior got a fresh coat of pure white paint which was distressed and waxed ("Simplicity" by Country Chic Paint).
So the Stikwood comes in a box similar to wood flooring. There are different-sized lengths and are 5" in width. You can install them vertically or horizontally and are cut easily with a miter saw. You then just peel and stick them on. As simple as that.
The first thing I did is remove the traditional wood moulding on top and painted the exterior.
I then measured, cut, peeled and stuck the Stikwood planks.
It was really that simple!
And lastly, I then added a simpler moulding to replace the traditional one.
I love the rustic wood with the white ironstone.

25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Mary Vitullo - Orphans With Makeup

• Jana Brent

I have a China cabinet and table that is solid cherry. I want to do this but also don’t want to destroy the value of this set. Would you do this to cherry wood?

• Rosemary

Was the design on the glass doors removable or did you replace the glass? Love this look. I have a china cabinet that I am going to try to capture the same look. I will be using it up at my cottage but will use it for multi-functions other than glass for example linens, books, etc, I think the more country/ casual look will lend itself to my multi purpose function, as long as arranged tastefully. Looking forward to trying this.

Thanks for the inspiration.

• Dianab

the fretwork on the glass is a thin wood much like veneer, it is held in place with a thin 1/4 round

• Robin Hood Ivy

Did you have any bleed thru with this piece? What do you use if the wood bleeds?

• Sherry Mason

use a shellac based primer to avoid bleed thru from dark paint to light. I use Boss by Dixie Belle but Zinsser B-I-N works perfectly also. Paint 2 or 3 light coats

• S. Phillips

This is such a great idea! I have been looking for a way to re-do my old china cabinet and now I have something to use to help me reach my goal! Thanks so much!!

• Joy Sheffield

Turned out beautiful 👏🏻👏🏻