China Cabinet Makeover (from Traditional to Farmhouse)

As a Furniture Artist, I am always looking for different ways to transform my pieces. For this project I wanted to take a traditional looking china cabinet and transform it into more of a rustic farmhouse style with barnwood and pure white paint.
"Before"
"Before"
The product I used to back the interior is called "Stikwood". It is real wood planking that you just peel and stick. The exterior got a fresh coat of pure white paint which was distressed and waxed ("Simplicity" by Country Chic Paint).
china cabinet makeover from traditional to farmhouse, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painted furniture
So the Stikwood comes in a box similar to wood flooring. There are different-sized lengths and are 5" in width. You can install them vertically or horizontally and are cut easily with a miter saw. You then just peel and stick them on. As simple as that.
The first thing I did is remove the traditional wood moulding on top and painted the exterior.
I then measured, cut, peeled and stuck the Stikwood planks.
It was really that simple!
And lastly, I then added a simpler moulding to replace the traditional one.
I love the rustic wood with the white ironstone.
Mary Vitullo - Orphans With Makeup

• Pam Delnevo

I went to the stikwood website but they didn't say how much you get. Surely it isn't $280 for 1 plank?

• Sheenaireland

Hi I had a look at your website but couldn't see the details on how to remove the fretwork from the glass? Is it a difficult process. You did a beautiful job.

• Actually it was very simple to remove. The fretwork was held with a thin moulding around the inside of the doors with some small nails. I just started prying it carefully with a scraper and then pulled the nails with a long nose plier.

• Mary Leigh Benoit

It is GOREOUS!!! What kind of paint did you use and how did you do the worn edge look?

• Tammy Hall Roberts

I have done a bookshelf like this before. You just come back with some rough sandpaper and sand where the piece would have been worn/scuffed naturally.

• Patricia H H Ledford

Most definitely inspired! I'm gonna try to get right on this. I have an old China cabinet and the Buffet to match. This is gonna be great! Thank You, Loving It, and you did Great Justice!

• Lisa Sinclair

I'd love to make over my Mom's old cabinet , and buffet, too. Looks so fresh and pretty. But being married to a carpenter/ wood lover, I'm gonna have a fight on my hands. But I think showing him this might just "talk" him into it!

• Necee Marie

Love!!!!!❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️