China Cabinet Makeover (from Traditional to Farmhouse)

As a Furniture Artist, I am always looking for different ways to transform my pieces. For this project I wanted to take a traditional looking china cabinet and transform it into more of a rustic farmhouse style with barnwood and pure white paint.
"Before"
The product I used to back the interior is called "Stikwood". It is real wood planking that you just peel and stick. The exterior got a fresh coat of pure white paint which was distressed and waxed ("Simplicity" by Country Chic Paint).
So the Stikwood comes in a box similar to wood flooring. There are different-sized lengths and are 5" in width. You can install them vertically or horizontally and are cut easily with a miter saw. You then just peel and stick them on. As simple as that.
The first thing I did is remove the traditional wood moulding on top and painted the exterior.
I then measured, cut, peeled and stuck the Stikwood planks.
It was really that simple!
And lastly, I then added a simpler moulding to replace the traditional one.
I love the rustic wood with the white ironstone.

23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Mary Vitullo - Orphans With Makeup

• Jana Brent
    Jana Brent

I have a China cabinet and table that is solid cherry. I want to do this but also don’t want to destroy the value of this set. Would you do this to cherry wood?

• Rosemary
    Rosemary

Was the design on the glass doors removable or did you replace the glass? Love this look. I have a china cabinet that I am going to try to capture the same look. I will be using it up at my cottage but will use it for multi-functions other than glass for example linens, books, etc, I think the more country/ casual look will lend itself to my multi purpose function, as long as arranged tastefully. Looking forward to trying this.

Thanks for the inspiration.

• Dianab
      Dianab

the fretwork on the glass is a thin wood much like veneer, it is held in place with a thin 1/4 round

• Robin Hood Ivy
    Robin Hood Ivy

Did you have any bleed thru with this piece? What do you use if the wood bleeds?

• Sherry Mason
      Sherry Mason

use a shellac based primer to avoid bleed thru from dark paint to light. I use Boss by Dixie Belle but Zinsser B-I-N works perfectly also. Paint 2 or 3 light coats

• S. Phillips
    S. Phillips

This is such a great idea! I have been looking for a way to re-do my old china cabinet and now I have something to use to help me reach my goal! Thanks so much!!

• Joy Sheffield
    Joy Sheffield

Turned out beautiful 👏🏻👏🏻