DIY Santa Wine Glasses

Every year I have a Christmas dinner, and I always seem to invite more people than I have dishes for. So to add Christmas spirit without breaking the bank, I resort to DIY'ing some parts of my Christmas table settings. This year it is the wine glasses.
diy santa wine glasses, christmas decorations, crafts, seasonal holiday decor
Whenever I need to DIY wine glass decorations, I head straight to IKEA. You can pick up some really inexpensive glasses that are perfect for decorating!
Tape around the bottom of the bowl and spray paint the stems with black lacquer paint. I think chalkboard spray paint would work, too, if you want to be able to write Christmas messages or people's names on them.
When the stems are dry, tape paper around the tops of them (I didn't want to put tape directly on the black paint since I was afraid it would take the paint off).
Also tape around the the tops of the glasses. I don't think it's healthy for people to be drinking from the painted part of the glass, so I left enough space at the top that they wouldn't be touching the paint.
Spray paint the untaped part red. I did this with the glass upside down so that the red paint wouldn't splatter on to the base of the glass or get inside it.
When the red paint is dry, cut a whole in the top of a plastic container and then trace around with a black sharpie paint pen...that's where the belt will be. The Sharpie paint pens are pretty permanent...so you will need to be a little careful not to add some accidental lines.
Make the belt wider with the black Sharpie. Then add a buckle with a Silver Sharpie paint pen, and a couple of "buttons" above the buckle with the black marker.
The Santa glasses fit right in with my red and white table settings.
To get more detailed instructions, click the link below to see the full post.
Wanda @ From House To Home

• Wendy Bentley

Wanda, I have done acrylic enamel and have had to bake glasses to ensure the paint stays intact. I would definitely not try that with the spray paint -- not handling heat. How do you make sure spray paint stays on? Are these easily washable or do they have to be just washed inside and not emersed in the water

• Hi Wendy...I wash them by hand, and they have held up pretty well. I don't let them sit in the water too long and I'm careful not to rub them too hard where the paint is. I used oil-based spray paint so it doesn't dissolve in the water, but I think it might wear off after a while (since I only use these glasses a couple of times a year, that hasn't been an issue so far).

• Linda

That is so cute. Thanks for sharing your idea.