DIY How to Make a Mosaic and Install It in Your Room

Add interest and that artistic flair by installing a colorful mosaic in your kitchen ... or any room really. It is certainly a do-able DIY project that doesn't take a professional to do. Kids can help as well! Just look at the result!!!
diy how to make a mosaic and install it in your room, how to, kitchen design, kitchen island, tiling
I applied the tiles to MDF backing while laying on a flat surface to make it easier for the tiles to adhere and stay put. This is an artistic project as well, so this will give you the time and ability to arrange the tiles and be happy with it.
I used blue painters tape to ensure a good clean edge for installation on the island. Once all the grout is done, let dry and remove the tape. It will be messy, so have a vacuum ready to get all the flecks up.
This piece was a bit on the heavy side, so if you are planning on doing one to this size, have someone help move it. Be sure not to let it bow as it may alter the integrity of the piece from the flexing. You may have to sand some edges just to have it fit nicely.
Finish the installation with corner molding painted the same color as the surround to give it a framed complete look.
You HAVE to go to Taradaramadeit.com to see the adhesive and the grout products used. While you're there you will find a plethora of DIY projects for the whole family. Oh, and she's a huge thrifter that has a ton of makeovers on her site.
Oh, you can purchase tiles from any home hardware store or go to a special tile shop to get some of the more unique colors, etc.

To see more: http://taradaramadeit.com/kitchen-update-mosiac-installation/

• Shirll

TILES DO YOU THINK A PERSON COULD DO THIS ON THERE CUPBOARD DOORS MINE ARE MADE FROM PRESS BOARD THEN THEY PUT THIN ARBORITE IT IS STARTING TO BRAKE OFF SO KIND OF HARD TO PAINT AND I AM ON A TIGHT BUDGET. THANK YOU FOR YOU TIME

• Wyldecent

Opening and shutting the doors will cause vibrations that would make grout crack. Tiles need to be on a stable, non-moving surface. You could probably use the peel and stick "fake" tiles though as they are lightweight and not grouted.

• Sarah Fontes

Hi, what kind of glue do you use these project?

• Elisabet

You could paint your cabinet doors and mosaic something smaller in the middle

• Debby Dale

I did this for my tub surround in my bathroom. It is a vine growing up and around the wall with flowers of all colors. The only thing is that it takes a long time to create as you are placing tiles one at a time, so if you are in a bathroom that gets a lot of use, you should make the mosaic before tearing out the tub surround. Mistake made and acknowledged by me, a hopeless DIYer. The bath is not finished or I would take a picture to show the result. I am doing the floor also by placing 12x12 tiles with the main color of the mosaic running between each tile. My bath has been unusable for about three weeks. Should be completed this weekend or early next week. It would have been much easier doing the mosaic prior to installing it on the wall because having the different colors meant getting in and out of the bath tub about a miilion times because I put the wall up first. I am sure that when it is done I will be happy, but I have been secretly cursing throughout the process because I didn't think it through first.