How We Organized Our Small Bedroom

Last week I posted here on Home Talk about the bedroom mini-makeover my husband and I did to hold us over until we have time for a bigger renovation. Today, I wanted to follow-up and share some of the easy solutions we came up with to keep this bedroom organized.
The challenge with this bedroom is that we do not have a giant master suite with an MTV Cribs walk-in closet. We have a small bedroom with one closet and two dressers and here's what the one closet was looking like:
We started this organizing project with a major purge. I was ruthless and got rid of almost any piece of clothing that doesn’t get an A+ in Fit, Color, Style, and Feeling. And then I convinced my husband to do the same, which was quite a feat, because he has a harder time letting things go.
I organized the remaining hanging clothes by color just cause I like the way that looks. :)
We added four Ikea Branäs baskets on the shelf to hold some of my workout gear, our swimming suits, and medical supplies, which we like to keep here, far out of curious kid finger reach. We also labeled each basket.
On the floor, on the left side, we added Martha Stewart cubbies purchased at Home Depot to hold hats, scarves, and some shoes I like to keep out of harms way.
On the right, we added new laundry hampers. In the past, we had two hampers here: one for our clothes and the other for the kids. (Don’t ask me why.) This was an annoying source of clutter because I never wanted to mix my delicates with the regular stuff, so I would just leave those in a heap on the floor.
To address this major source of distress in my life, we decided to move the kids’ laundry to the bathroom closet and got two Ikea Mulig hampers, so now we have four compartments just for us.
What about the dressers? Here's a sample of the embarrassing mess the dresser drawers used to be:
And here's a sample of how much neater they look with some drawer organizers from Ikea. I have found that drawer organizers make all the difference in staying organized. (There are great tutorials online for making custom organizers out of cereal boxes or whatnot too.)
We also have a bonus storage area in our bedroom. Our Ikea Brimnes bed comes with two large drawers on each side. I put two large Skubb dividers in my right-side drawer to house purses in one and clothes “in use” in the other. In addition to the dirty laundry, another major source of clutter in our room were the clothes that were not clean but not yet ready for wash either.
In the other drawer, I put three Ikea Knarra baskets to hold my ever-important catalogs, magazines, and extra candles.
There are a few more details and other organizing projects on our blog if you are interested (link below)!

3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
Anni | Whose Idea Was It To Buy This House

• Catherine

where did you find the thing that you put ur clothing in with a cover

• Stephanie Mancini Francois

Where did you put the rest of your shoes?

I have a very similar closet but it has 2 sides. It's a 1 bedroom apartment so the closet is the length of one of our walls but there's a little wall in-between the 2 sides so it's not completely open.

• Paw@702

Can I use peel & stick tile to cover ceramic tile backsplash in my kitchen?

• Jane Boyd Holt

You’ve touched on every problem area I have - candles , magazines, not clean but wearable clothes - hopefully I’ll be able to find answers that work for me as well as you have! Thanks for the great tips!

• Tillyangela

I’ve got a cupboard with sliding doors built into the wall but loads of wasted space underneath it.now I’ve seen this 🤔I just need a 🔨

Inspirational😀