Kandy Scott
Kandy Scott
  • Phoenix, OR

Unsightly Stump

Unsightly stump in front yard. Took bowling balls and drilled holes through one of the finger holes, did not go all the way through. Drilled holes in stump at angles. Inserted rebar in ball and stump. Told my landlord that the stump was sprouting.
unsightly stump, outdoor furniture, repurposing upcycling
Use car wax to shine the balls. After a few years (8) they are cracking. Adds character.
Here I have taken some of the balls off their rebar stands so you could see the process. The rebar is from Home Depot already cut into 12" length. I put a big drill bit (same one used to drill the hole in the ball) the size of the rebar and drilled the holes in trunk at a pleasing angle. Then slid the ball on the rebar. Nothing is permanent...I like to be able to change my mind.
Here is how they looked this morning after a light dusting of snow.

• Nancy T

What kind of primer & paint did you use? I love the marbled effect!

• Mary Miller

I've paint some that sit in my flowerbeds. Regular spray paint, cheap brands worked fine. They didn't fade but the unpainted ones did.
  • Kelly Louise

How do you prevent the color from fading in the ball? I had one covering a pipe in the ground and the sun made it fade.

• Jewellmartin

@KandyScott. Now I have to find your post on plate flowers! I don't know what they are, but they are bound to be whimsical. I'd like to know how the stump is coming and how it is decorated now. And I wonder what are you are creating these days. Best wishes 😇
  • Mary Francis Bruhn Anderson

just an idea but how about drilling more holes and adding some flower seeds? not sure if they would sprout but might be worth a try. would, of course, need to water or just drill large holes and plant small starts. clay flower pots would probably slide over the rebar, place soil and plants.

• Jewellmartin

@MaryFrancisBruhnAnderson. I just saw your question about planting seeds inside a bowling ball. I don't own a bowling ball, I guess I thought they were hollow or metal, I thought they were indestructible. In other words, I never thought of bowling balls at all. Thanks to @KandyScott, and now your idea, I see some of the many possibilities. To hitchhike on your idea, I thought of air plants, coming out of a jewel-encrusted gazing ball. This is so much fun! Best wishes 😇

• Tupp

You know, we are all made different, so perhaps a project that you see on here may not be to your liking, but kudos to those that got off there butts and did something with their day, added a little color to some where, and kept it OUT of the landfill, so to those people I say Thank you..
    • Mary Insana

I agree. We are all made different and we all like different things. Some recycle projects go smoothly and come out exactly how we wanted them and some projects are not exactly what we were hoping for. That’s the beauty of using recycled items.

If you have a vision then follow through. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To end this, my husband has 4 small duck pin bowling balls that are sitting in the garage..........my next project 😊

• Stefan

That is sooo cool! I totally need to try this!