Fireplace Makeover - Wood to Gas

Tackling a big job like a fireplace is a bit daunting but you can do it, especially if you have a great contractor who solicits your opinions and is a good listener. My wood-burning fireplace was a huge box that stuck out into the small room about two feet. I finally decided to take the plunge and demo the old fireplace and replace it with a gas insert.
Oh dear! Time for second and third thoughts!
I asked my contractor to build a raised platform to rest the insert on, making the flames more visible.
I gained about a foot of floor space.
Then I asked him if he could match the design on the original newel post on the staircase.
A perfect match!
I picked out some tile that resembled tile I'd seen in similar old houses.
Tile complemented my French color palette.
Some white paint and lighter decor freshened up the room.
Now it's a more relaxed yet elegant style.
Want to learn more? Please visit my blog at bringingfrenchcountryhome.blogspot.com.
Pat Shipley

Questions on this post

Your question...

Comments

4 comments
  • Diana Pilger Keck Diana Pilger Keck on Feb 10, 2016
    You're going to love the conversion! I went from wood to gas as well and love being able to walk in the house and with the flip of a switch, I have a warm, cozy fire going!
    • See 1 previous
    • Diana Pilger Keck Diana Pilger Keck on Feb 11, 2016
      @Pat Shipley well small world indeed! Yes, I've been to the French Corner (if only to drool)! Love that place!
  • Susan Rawlings Susan Rawlings on Feb 26, 2016
    OOh this is so pretty. I love the colors. Nice to see such pretty, light tones.
Next