Grace
Grace
  • Lexington, KY

Gorgeous Cork Board to Cover an Eye Sore

$10

I have been wanting to cover this eye sore which is the landing place from the stairs in my house. There used to be a land line phone.
ugh..too lazy and too busy to repair the wall
I have had all these stuff at home just collecting dust, esp that picture frame. See the detail next. How gorgeous it is. I had it in my possession for like 10 years if not longer.
gorgeous cork board to cover an eye sore, crafts, repurposing upcycling
Beautiful details..
Beautiful details..
Firstly, I am a musician, specifically a violinist and a violin teacher and I always try to pay homage to the fact that I am a musician when I work on a project, and I get easily gravitated toward anything with music and violin. I picked up that wrapping paper with music on it....I think from Marshall's a couple of years ago. I don't drink wine on a regular basis, but my mother in law does a bit and she saved all those corks for me along with another friend of mine.
I used a piece of foam cord board and used mod podge to paste the wrapping paper. I secured the back with frame backing hardwares. I also cut 2 "discs" from a piece of cork to secure the frame from flopping around.
I got this basket weaving like pattern idea from Pinterest. I had to cut some short in order for the pattern to work for me. I really like the music wrapping paper showing through and I contemplated whether I should make it full of corks or leave some blank somehow.
This is what I decided to do finally... I left a small corner blank. Luckily I had a piece of cork just right to wrap this project up
Those 2 round ones were actually one cork piece. At first it was just chunky and was different from all the other corks. I was like, "I can't use this!!?" but when I looked at both bottoms, I thought it was so neat, so I cut it in half and became my finishing touch!
Here is the finished project. My violin makes it look even better, haha. I used some of foam stopper to make it more interesting. I wish I could keep it like this...but it has to cover that eye sore area.
Thank you for stopping by. It has been ages since I posted anything. This nearly cost nothing but I will say it was 10.00 because I am sure I paid something for that frame at a garage sale and if it was more than 2.00, it was unlikely I would have gotten it. The wrapping paper probably was no more than 3.99, and foam cord was about 5.00? but I still have some leftovers and I can certainly use it for something else. :)
It took me more than one hour only because I had to cut some corks with a serrated knife..and then gluing all those corks with hot glue gun.

• Joe Jones

It’s less time consuming to patch the hole in the wall and costs less than $10 unless you need paint

• Grace

Hello, thank you for your comment. :) At that time I was in need of some project fix and everything that was used in this project was just collecting dust, esp that frame. :)

This was done many years ago, and ever since then, our walls have been repaired and painted professionally, and the cork frame is still there.. because I just love how it turned out and the cost was very little. :)

• Patti

How adorable and yet simple enough for me, as I don’t consider myself to be very crafty. I will just change the music theme to something that matches my kitchen ..I have almost all the materials. So cute! Thank you ! Awesome idea !

• Grace

Oh thank you so much for the kind words! I don't consider myself "crafty", but when I have a vision or an idea, I can't rest until I finish it. I collect things only because I am just randomly attracted to them and then one day voila! I have to get it going and finish! I would love to see your project when it's done! ❤️