Love The Tompkins
Love The Tompkins
  • Clarksville, TN

How I Built A Range Hood Cover

$300

When we moved into our home the wall behind our stove was dominated by heavy, imposing cabinetry that made the ceiling feel low and the room feel cramped. I had in mind the look I was going for and I knew I could achieve the style I was going for on a budget.
Here is the "before" photo....
I was able to remove the cabinetry and tile the whole wall from counter to ceiling. I had found a vent/fan at Ikea in the
how i built a range hood cover
I was able to remove the cabinetry and tile the whole wall from counter to ceiling. I had found a vent/fan at Ikea in the AS IS for 50% off. It's designed to be an under cabinet mounted vent/fan and it vents to the outside of our house.
how i built a range hood cover, diy, kitchen design, woodworking projects
Because the vent was not going to be mounted under a cabinet we constructed a triangular anchor for the vent to be mounted to.
Next I determined where the ceiling studs were and attached anchors for the front of the range hood cover.
how i built a range hood cover
I used thin MDF to make the facade of the range hood cover. It's purely decorative and doesn't support anything, the thin grade MDF is so light that it's the perfect material for a project like this.
I determined how far I wanted my range hood cover to stick out and attached spacers to the triangle anchors.
I then measured and cut out MDF for the sides of the range hood cover.
I then measured and cut a piece for the front of the range hood cover.
I used 2" kraft board to trim out the range hood cover. I used construction adhesive to attach the trim.
how i built a range hood cover
After all the trim was attached I filled all the seams with caulk, primed and painted the entire range hood cover. The knobs that turn on the range hood vent and light are right up under the front of the range hood cover. There is about a 3" clearance so there is no complications switching the vent and light off and on. (I added a photo in the comments showing my husband turning the knobs off and on. When you are standing at the stove you can see the knobs clearly but if you step back a foot or two the knobs are hidden. I also added a photo in the comments of the underside of the vent for those wondering how we clean the filter.)
how i built a range hood cover
how i built a range hood cover
For such a quick and easy project it sure makes a huge impact in our kitchen. To get the whole scoop on this project and the specifics on how I created this DIY range hood cover check out my blog at www.Lovethetompkins.com!
how i built a range hood cover
Public Service Announcement: So here’s my own little PSA since I get so many comments about the “safety” of the vent hood. As you can see the entire bottom of the vent hood is metal. This is a vent hood made to be attached to cabinets and hang over a stove therefore it has been rated for use in the way it is being used here. There is no wood/mdf etc exposed to potential flare ups/ steam etc. which makes this inherently more safe than a kitchen with no vent hood and cabinets over the stove. For those worried about the safety of the electrical side of things, I had an electrician wire this in and also vent it to the outside for me. I Don’t have pictures of that but rest assured it happened. For those worried that this will not pass inspection, it did in 2016 with flying colors - thanks for your concern. For those just worried in general - it’s okay the world is scary, swipe right, scroll on and find a project that you feel comforatble reading about. I hear gardening is pretty safe   
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 05, 2018 7:34 PM - More info
Love The Tompkins

3 questions on this project
  • Laura Siebrecht
    Aug 06, 2018

My range hood has a vent pipe that goes up and through the ceiling, does yours not need this or at least if it was there I somehow missed it.

• Laura Siebrecht
      Aug 06, 2018

Sorry I just read where you did have it vented outside but just didn't have pictures of it. I really love the look of it all. I want some open shelving but my husband reminded me that our shelves are so messy that it is better we keep the doors to hide the clutter lol. He is so right too.

• Oh my god I feel like a total freakin dingbat! Until you said swipe right, I had no idea that you could do that on this site! 🤣 i loved your psa, there can be lotsa Debbie downers on here! Good stuff... you did a great job covering that range, stainless steel isnt for everyone. But ive gotta know, how well does it clean up? Im a super friggin messy cook

• How did you carve around your crown molding?

I Love the whole project. I think white always makes everything look so clean and neat (tidy). I especially like the shelving on both sides of the stove!