How I Built A Range Hood Cover

$300

When we moved into our home the wall behind our stove was dominated by heavy, imposing cabinetry that made the ceiling feel low and the room feel cramped. I had in mind the look I was going for and I knew I could achieve the style I was going for on a budget.
Here is the "before" photo....
I was able to remove the cabinetry and tile the whole wall from counter to ceiling. I had found a vent/fan at Ikea in the AS IS for 50% off. It's designed to be an under cabinet mounted vent/fan and it vents to the outside of our house.
Because the vent was not going to be mounted under a cabinet we constructed a triangular anchor for the vent to be mounted to.
Next I determined where the ceiling studs were and attached anchors for the front of the range hood cover.
I used thin MDF to make the facade of the range hood cover. It's purely decorative and doesn't support anything, the thin grade MDF is so light that it's the perfect material for a project like this.
I determined how far I wanted my range hood cover to stick out and attached spacers to the triangle anchors.
I then measured and cut out MDF for the sides of the range hood cover.
I then measured and cut a piece for the front of the range hood cover.
I used 2" kraft board to trim out the range hood cover. I used construction adhesive to attach the trim.
After all the trim was attached I filled all the seams with caulk, primed and painted the entire range hood cover. The knobs that turn on the range hood vent and light are right up under the front of the range hood cover. There is about a 3" clearance so there is no complications switching the vent and light off and on. (I added a photo in the comments showing my husband turning the knobs off and on. When you are standing at the stove you can see the knobs clearly but if you step back a foot or two the knobs are hidden. I also added a photo in the comments of the underside of the vent for those wondering how we clean the filter.)
For such a quick and easy project it sure makes a huge impact in our kitchen. To get the whole scoop on this project and the specifics on how I created this DIY range hood cover check out my blog at www.Lovethetompkins.com!
Public Service Announcement: So here’s my own little PSA since I get so many comments about the “safety” of the vent hood. As you can see the entire bottom of the vent hood is metal. This is a vent hood made to be attached to cabinets and hang over a stove therefore it has been rated for use in the way it is being used here. There is no wood/mdf etc exposed to potential flare ups/ steam etc. which makes this inherently more safe than a kitchen with no vent hood and cabinets over the stove. For those worried about the safety of the electrical side of things, I had an electrician wire this in and also vent it to the outside for me. I Don’t have pictures of that but rest assured it happened. For those worried that this will not pass inspection, it did in 2016 with flying colors - thanks for your concern. For those just worried in general - it’s okay the world is scary, swipe right, scroll on and find a project that you feel comforatble reading about. I hear gardening is pretty safe   

30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
Love The Tompkins

• Oh my god I feel like a total freakin dingbat! Until you said swipe right, I had no idea that you could do that on this site! 🤣 i loved your psa, there can be lotsa Debbie downers on here! Good stuff... you did a great job covering that range, stainless steel isnt for everyone. But ive gotta know, how well does it clean up? Im a super friggin messy cook

• Angi

Ditto on Loving the PSA! Can't stand Negative Nellie's worrying over things uneccessarily.

• Laura Siebrecht

My range hood has a vent pipe that goes up and through the ceiling, does yours not need this or at least if it was there I somehow missed it.

• Brianinbc

Unusual to vent through roof, most will push out through wall behind stove - shortest route usually cheaper and it maximizes strength of air flow when it exits the area.

Brian in BC

• Lov29862990

Do you hire yourself out?

• Kelly N Russ Smith

Oh for goodness sake...!! I l LOVE THIS!!!

I have been searching for a DIY like THIS to make an outdoor window awning. THIS is the pattern idea/how-to I've been searching for!! Now I need to figure out what kind of material I can use that's water resistant for the Northwest rain. I am open to any tips. Thank you for posting this!!

• Rac48389760

Awesome! Looks professional. Will be moving soon. Not sure how my next range top will look. I'm definitely keeping this as an awesome alternative to what may be there. Thank you. I will be looking at your blog.