Vintage Farmhouse-Style Reminder Center

While some people just need a "Message Center" in their homes, *I* need a REMINDER CENTER! Put out the recycling...empty the dishwasher...buy stamps...Mom's birthday tomorrow...you get the idea! So I created one by repurposing a vintage washboard and some old, deconstructed mouse traps as "clip boards". Love that farmhouse style!
I just love old washboards, don't you? So when I found an affordable one, I snapped it up...but it was a tad too "blonde" for my taste...
But with a little wood stain, I made it a brunette- much better!
To turn it into a Reminder Center, I wanted to capitalize on it's magnetic corrugated metal. Sure, I could just use cute magnets, but why not create "clip boards" with old mouse traps??
I removed the hardware I didn't need (i.e., the holding bar and the catch) and glued basic magnets to the backs.
Then, I added hooks to the legs (using simple robe hooks from the hardware store)...
And gave these new, white cup hooks the vintage treatment with some spray paint...
And then I added a hanging mechanism to the back!
All done! And ready to hang... (and remind me of stuff).
BOOM! Perfect...and in that farmhouse style I just love. :)

Sadie Seasongoods

• Joan

Where did you find the flat hardware used on the rear of the washboard? I have never seen seen that particular hardware near here but would like to purchase some. Thank you in advance. Joan

• Jeanette Lucero

Don't use them on anything heavy. I bought a nice mirror from Walmart and it had these brackets on the back when I went to hang it they broke off

• Bon6808115

I want to do this to an old washboard I have. Where did you find old mousetraps? This is such a clever idea. I love it!

• Brenda Gould

we have found 4/$1 mouse traps at Dollar Tree, check your dollar store

• User

Interesting, as far as washboards go, I live just south of the border, Mexican that is, and you find brand new ones easily cuz many still use them to wash clothes down here. So with a bit of rough housing and some o that handy dandy stain y'all ken make em cheap, lol. Yes they're very inexpensive and haven't changed one bit. I'm sure we have the traps too, though people generally rely on their cat's

• Sharron Bennett

This my idea of a message board. Very farmhouse.