Nautical Trunk Makeover-Mapping It Out!

I took an old scratched trunk with some nice medallion details and added some paint and old maps for decoration. For the full tutorial go to: http://countrydesignhome.com/nautical-map-trunk-makeover/
nautical trunk makeover mapping it out, decoupage, painted furniture
This is the top view of the completed chest. The wood just glows against the brass hardware and the decorated wood front.
This is the completed trunk. The wood was quite pretty, so I left the majority of it stained and varnished. I decided to decorate the front panels with some old maps.
This is the before. I lightly sanded the piece then recoated the wood parts with antique oak stain.
I mixed up some paint that would enhance the color of the maps, but I left the edges stained to create a frame for the maps.
I made patterns for the map pieces, since the medallions were not quite the same.
Glued on the map pieces to the panels. BUT, I did discover a new trick for keeping the paper from wrinkling and buckling!! Go to the website for the amazing details: http://countrydesignhome.com/nautical-map-trunk-makeover/
Added these arrow pulls for the handles.
Love these General Finishes paints and stains. So easy to use and clean up with water! On to my next project!
Sue@CountryDesignHome

• Bettye Martinez

You said you sprayed the maps with the spray but how did you keep them from sticking to the surface when you sprayed them while they dried? Is the spray not a glue type of spray? Thanks, your project is great!

• Sue@CountryDesignHome

Hi Bettye! I sprayed the maps with a matte spray varnish, not a glue. So it was not sticky at all. I laid it out on a mat board and lightly sprayed a side, then waited until it dried, then flipped it over and did the other side. Then I repeated the process. It only took minutes to dry in between coats. But then I left it for awhile so it would be really dry before I placed it on the glue. Worked perfectly!

• Letmework

This "antique gold" stain. Would this be a good color to go over an 80s oak table to get rid of that "honey gold" that was so popular back then? I've been wanting to stain it to look like the darker oak furniture that is really old.