Cabbage Centerpiece

I Made Cabbage from Toilet Paper.
That's right... a great centerpiece can start with toilet paper!
If you want to try this, you'll need to go to the restroom and grab a roll.
Then go into the kitchen and the garage for some more ingredients. It's for toilet paper clay.
Materials
Toilet paper (about half of 1 roll)
1 cup joint compound (in the paint aisle)
6 ounces white glue
3/4 cup flour
Water
I filled a large bowl with toilet paper and added water to it. And kept adding the toilet paper until I had about 2 cups of wet paper.
Then squeezed out as much water as possible and tore it up into pieces.
What is nice about this being better than paper mache is, it's smoother. AND it's a great blank canvas to make whatever you want with it.
Like cabbages!
Using a large freezer bag, I added the wet toilet paper, joint compound, glue and flour and mixed it together. (Just kept squeezing the bag.)
It formed a nice soft clay.
Then I took a bowl the size of a cabbage and placed plastic wrap all around it.
Taking handfuls of the clay, I placed it onto the plastic wrapped bowl to press a large cabbage leaf into it to make impressions all around the bowl.
I allowed the clay to form at the rim of the bowl to make the leaves appear as part of the cabbage wilting.
Then set the bowl in an airy place for a couple of days to dry thoroughly.
Once it dried, I painted it with green watercolors to make it more realistic.
After painting the cabbage bowl, I used polycrylic to clear coat and seal it.
Then the fun part... making the spring arrangement. I cut artificial peonies to fit into a floral foam inside the cabbage bowl.
And finally... a farm style floral centerpiece is created.
Hopefully that helped! If not see the full detailed post at http://redoityourselfinspirations.blogspot.com/2016/03/cabbage-centerpiece.html
After making the cabbage bowl, drying it, and painting it... the fun part was the springtime arrangement.
I added artificial peonies. Now, this cabbage arrangement is preserved!
I'm also excited to be part of Hometalk's DIY My Spring! Home and Garden Blog Hop today. Be sure to see other Spring ideas for your home and garden.
MySpring
Robin @ Redo It Yourself Inspirations

• Ticia

Could you use any sort of paper as if you were making a paper mache bowl? Very pretty.

• Precious

How to get rid of mice

• Miss Daisy

Where did you get the cow print ? Your vase is AWESOME !

• Beth Ann

Beautiful, and crafty!!

• Wxw

Absolutely love this!!! A good project to do in the cool basement during the blistering hot summer. Thanks for sharing. Love Home Talk.