Cabbage Centerpiece

I Made Cabbage from Toilet Paper.
That's right... a great centerpiece can start with toilet paper!
cabbage centerpiece, container gardening, crafts, flowers, how to
If you want to try this, you'll need to go to the restroom and grab a roll.
Then go into the kitchen and the garage for some more ingredients. It's for toilet paper clay.
Materials
Toilet paper (about half of 1 roll)
1 cup joint compound (in the paint aisle)
6 ounces white glue
3/4 cup flour
Water
I filled a large bowl with toilet paper and added water to it. And kept adding the toilet paper until I had about 2 cups of wet paper.
Then squeezed out as much water as possible and tore it up into pieces.
What is nice about this being better than paper mache is, it's smoother. AND it's a great blank canvas to make whatever you want with it.
Like cabbages!
Using a large freezer bag, I added the wet toilet paper, joint compound, glue and flour and mixed it together. (Just kept squeezing the bag.)
It formed a nice soft clay.
Then I took a bowl the size of a cabbage and placed plastic wrap all around it.
Taking handfuls of the clay, I placed it onto the plastic wrapped bowl to press a large cabbage leaf into it to make impressions all around the bowl.
I allowed the clay to form at the rim of the bowl to make the leaves appear as part of the cabbage wilting.
Then set the bowl in an airy place for a couple of days to dry thoroughly.
Once it dried, I painted it with green watercolors to make it more realistic.
After painting the cabbage bowl, I used polycrylic to clear coat and seal it.
Then the fun part... making the spring arrangement. I cut artificial peonies to fit into a floral foam inside the cabbage bowl.
And finally... a farm style floral centerpiece is created.
Hopefully that helped! If not see the full detailed post at http://redoityourselfinspirations.blogspot.com/2016/03/cabbage-centerpiece.html
After making the cabbage bowl, drying it, and painting it... the fun part was the springtime arrangement.
I added artificial peonies. Now, this cabbage arrangement is preserved!
I'm also excited to be part of Hometalk's DIY My Spring! Home and Garden Blog Hop today. Be sure to see other Spring ideas for your home and garden.
MySpring
Robin @ Redo It Yourself Inspirations

• Pat

Can you use cheaper toilet paper?

• Monique

Gorgeous....did you put a finish on it like Mod Podge? Who would have thought that t.p. could have been used for such a nice craft!!

• The Snarky Princess

she put a poly seal on it. I think it was a spray. But if you have a modge podge you should be able to use that. Just make sure you get all the nooks and crannies. If you had to wash it I would suggest a damp cloth not submerging it in water.

• Barb

Could recycled paper be used instead? (Not toilet paper of course LOL!) Perhaps shredded junk mail.

• I think the texture would be tougher to work with, but by all means, try it! But use a bit more water to the mix to break down the thicker paper to plyable use. Crossing my fingers it works!

• Wba32782074

This is the cutest flower arrangement I have seen!! I will have to try this😊😊

• Pamela.raffel

Smart, innovative and great looking result. And more importantly you didn't waste food. Cudos for you all round!