The Turning Point--DIY Corner Shelves

My office redo has got me all like "what am I doing with my life?!" Seriously, do you ever get to that point where you can't figure one tiny thing out and suddenly you start irrationally questioning all your life choices?
For example: I can't figure out if I like these shelves here. And I don't know where to hang our diplomas. Now I'm not sure it was a good idea to buy those jeans three months ago. Or make macaroni and cheese for supper last night. It was probably a terrible idea to wash my car last week. I shouldn't have trashed that milk jug a year ago. Why didn't I buy more wrapping paper when it was on sale after Christmas? THIS IS CRAZY!!!
This office redo is not going as planned. Read more about it in the blog post...
I'll get back to this madness right after I show you how I built these shelves. Let me first say-I LOVE these shelves. I'm just not sure I hung them in the best place in the room. I'll get back to that...
I made my shelves from 1x8 lumber so they are 7 1/2 deep. That's plenty of room for some textbooks. You could go shallower and do 1x6 or deeper and use 1x10 or 1x12.
I used 9' of board. I cut two pieces of board 30" long and four pieces 12" long.
I screwed the 30" pieces onto the ends of one of the 12" pieces.
Then, I used pocket holes and screws to attach two more 12" pieces to the other end of the 30" pieces at a 90 degree angle.
Then, screw the last 12" piece between these two boards.
Now, you can stain it or paint it before you hang it. I hung it first then took it down later to stain it because I was so eager to see what it looked like on the wall.
For more details on how to hang them, check out the blog post below.
Now that the shelf is hung, enjoy the pics before I ask for your help with my madness as mentioned before...you didn't think I would forget to come back to that, did you?
Now, here's where the crazy happened. I made only one of these and hung it up.
But, then I thought it looked unbalanced and needed one on the other side.
Then I didn't know if it looked too busy or too crowded. So I rearranged and rearranged and added my massive collection of mason jars.
And here we are. I can't decide if I like it. I took the shelves down last night in a fit of craziness, but now I think I want them back up.
Hopefully soon I will decide so I can show you my office reveal!!!
Check out more details on the blog post below!

25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Woodshop Diaries

• Lelia Zamorano
    Lelia Zamorano

how you hold the shelve on the wall?

• Bess W
    Bess W

Very nice but I like the idea of hanging the shelves even with the arch of the window. And while I like the bare wood on the desk and box seats, would you consider painting the shelves? This is a GREAT inspiration room!

• Lori
    Lori

I like this but I couldn’t tell what you used to hang them up with so they are sturdy. What if you want even sides on both walls? Same equipment for sturdiness?