From Antique Storage Cabinet to Modern Rolling Bar!

Would you like to see how we worked on this cheap thrifty office cabinet? Have a look...
from antique storage cabinet to modern rolling bar, diy, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, storage ideas
I found the cabinet at a thrift store. It didn't look attractive, but had an interesting sliding door, so I decided to make something out of it.
First step: sanding, and then we'll see...
After I sanded the whole piece, beautiful wood colour came up. It suggested something like a wine barrel, so I thought of painting a wine label on the door. Got the image from the web
Tansferred the drawing and hand painted
Cabinet ready! However it was too low to be a rolling bar. I will have to find the way to make it higher.
I wanted to give it an industrial look. There is always a way to make faux metal... I cut hardboard pieces, painted black and used graphite as patina to make it look like metal
Screwed pieces to cabinet in all its edges.
Now, it is time to make it higher. I will use this mattress base (or whatever you call it in English... I am really a Spanish speaker)!
And made this base for my cabinet. Added wheels.
And painted black with graphite patina.
There it is! Ready to store dozens of bottles at the bottom...
... and inside.
Marcela Pena

• Susan Maher

Beautiful! How did you transfer the drawing?

• Kathy Meador Wells

I love this rolling bar. Where are you finding the metal décor you put on this bar?

• Marcela Pena

There is no metal decor Kathy! If you read under de photos, you will see it is painted hardboard

• Susan Fuselier

How do you do a graphite patina?

• Marcela Pena

I am in Argentina. I don´t know if we have the same materials. I used graphite in powder and applied with wax.

• Pat Moran

Susan - go to any art store (not necessarily a craft store) and you will find artist graphite in powder and pencil form.......

• Comiksitran

My question is, 'why do people post questions about an article when they obviously haven't read the article yet?"

• Anita

I know! I have that same question.

• Debbi

Me too!

• Ann

Or post how much they like it with no question. This new part is for questions. There's an area for compliments.

• KD Redlowske

Me three. It is really irritating when you just finished reading it yourself, and see the question, and you know the answer is in the post you just read.

• Em

There are many words in the Thesaurus to describe this condition. 99.9% of them are not kind enough to print.

• Renata

I'm confused on the legs on top the wine base? R they regular legs n how where they attached? This is really kool n u did a great job.

• Marcela Pena

You are making a clever question Renata, because this part was a real issue! I had to find the way to put some sort of leg, but needed it to look metal. At a carpenter supply store, I found legs the size I needed, the ones they sell for kitchen cabinets. But they were plastic. I screwed them to the wooden rack, and then covered with a metal pipe to have the look of metal legs. Am I clear enough? Iam enclosing some photos

from antique storage cabinet to modern rolling bar, diy, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, storage ideas, in this picture you can see the plastic legsfrom antique storage cabinet to modern rolling bar, diy, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, storage ideas, and here they are with the metal pipe
    • Renata

So the metal pipes w flanges fit over the legs n the flanges r screwed to the cabinet? So then this would make it so the cabinet could just lift off the wine base?

• Marcela Pena

I´m not sure I am understanding your question, but everything is fit together, once finished it is all in one piece

• Lau30852322

Renata, I'm sure she screwed the legs/flanges to the base and cabinet to secure them together. NO it's not removable without unscrewing from the flanges and base.

• Tln3131899

What did u mix the graphite powder with and did u paint it on or rub it in like stain?. I have never heard of doing this. Love how you totally transformed it into a beautiful and functional piece. Such creativity!

• Marcela Pena

Thanks! Remember I painted all these pieces black first. I used acrilics. Then, to give it the shine of metal, used the graphite. I rubbed it together with clear wax. At the end sealed with a spray laque

• Sunny

Hi, this bar is beautiful! But I always wonder, how do you transfer the picture so you can paint it? Thanks. I did not see this explained. Thanks 😕

• Marcela Pena

I explained it in other work, that is why. I print the image from the web. Then rub the back with black pencil that acts like copy paper, then outline from the front on the piece. I could use copy paper as well, but I was afraid it might stain.

• Sunny

Thank you!

• Heje

It looks very nice and the use of the slats was perfect because they hold the bottles in place. Good idea for making the "metal" trim and helpful to us other diyers.

• Amy Browning

So perfect in every way! Thanks for sharing.

• Reenaroc

Turned out FANTASTIC!!!!  Thank You For Sharing! Gave me lots more ideas for an old cupboard we have!  I bet you could sell something like that for $500 or more. Really! Some people have no creative talent what so ever  and are willing to pay for it.