Tonya Diehl
Tonya Diehl
  • Murphysboro, IL

Side Yard Makeover: Creating Curb Appeal

Our side yard is a space that I've been working on for the last couple of years. It seems like each spring I tackle it again & again, making more progress year after year. A few weeks ago, I decided to finally put in the work (and the money) needed, to make it the side yard of my dreams! I'm so happy with how it turned out. Details in link below!
side yard makeover creating curb appeal, curb appeal, gardening, landscape, Here is a look at the side yard just a couple years ago It was more of an eyesore than anything else and definitely lacked curb appeal
Here is a look at the side yard just a couple years ago. It was more of an eyesore than anything else and definitely lacked curb appeal.
side yard makeover creating curb appeal, curb appeal, gardening, landscape, Here is a look at where I started this year
Here is a look at where I started this year.
side yard makeover creating curb appeal, curb appeal, gardening, landscape, And here is a look at our side yard today Quite the improvement right In addition to the landscaping we also added shutters and a window box to the window to add even more curb appeal
And here is a look at our side yard today. Quite the improvement, right?! In addition to the landscaping, we also added shutters and a window box to the window to add even more curb appeal.
side yard makeover creating curb appeal, curb appeal, gardening, landscape, The first thing I did was pull all the weeds prepared the area for landscaping Once the weeds were removed I could finally see my hostas that I had planted just a couple years back
The first thing I did was pull all the weeds & prepared the area for landscaping. Once the weeds were removed, I could finally see my hostas that I had planted just a couple years back.
side yard makeover creating curb appeal, curb appeal, gardening, landscape, To prevent further problems with weeds I put down a weed control fabric covered the area with mulch Then I went to Lowes and purchased some stone edgers to put the finishing touches on the landscaping
To prevent further problems with weeds, I put down a weed control fabric & covered the area with mulch. Then I went to Lowe's and purchased some stone edgers to put the finishing touches on the landscaping.
side yard makeover creating curb appeal, curb appeal, gardening, landscape, The hostas have grown matured so much in a matter of weeks They really do well on this side of our home because it is shaded for the biggest part of the day
The hostas have grown & matured so much in a matter of weeks. They really do well on this side of our home because it is shaded for the biggest part of the day.
side yard makeover creating curb appeal, curb appeal, gardening, landscape, In addition to the hostas I usually plant impatiens as well Like the hostas they also thrive in the shade I love the color they bring to the side of the house
In addition to the hostas, I usually plant impatiens as well. Like the hostas, they also thrive in the shade. I love the color they bring to the side of the house.
side yard makeover creating curb appeal, curb appeal, gardening, landscape, Here is a one last look at the space as a whole I m so happy with how it turned out and I m looking forward to watching the plants fill out mature even more in the coming weeks
Here is a one last look at the space as a whole. I'm so happy with how it turned out and I'm looking forward to watching the plants fill out & mature even more in the coming weeks!
Tonya Diehl

• Memaw

What does a person do to keep the bricks level?

• Stevie Johnson

I you are where it freezes & thaws, the only sure way is to dig down below frost line, put in a footing, lay a cheaper block or brick to ground level, or fill w/ concrete -keeping all of this level to lay your brck on. Lots of work & lots more money.

Truly, if you are going to just make your brick a course or as much as 3 courses high-about one foot, it really won't matter much if it is perfectly level or not. By the time your plants mature, w/ grass growing in front of it, you won't see enough of it to worry about. If you lay it out just following the ground, you can get an idea how it will look. If it pleases you, you are done. If not, dig out dirt to lower it, fill in more dirt to raise it.

There is a middle ground. Dig a trench at least a foot deep. I would make it at least as wide as my brick, plus enough extra to be able to run a lawnmower beside the brick so i could mow & not have to hand trim. Use a level to get floor of trench level removing or adding diet as needed. Tamp the dirt, or simply walk on it. Line w/ weed stopping "fabric". Fill w/ pea gravel. The idea is to provide drainage & some "give" so freezing & thawing don't heave your bricks as much. Tamp the gravel. If you did a good job, you just have to put your bricks in at, or a bit below ground level. Tamp them too & check w/ the level as you go.

One more idea. Use the Retaining Wall landscape brick. It is a lot heavier, more stable due to the weight & they lock together. Peel up the sod that would be under them. I would again make it wide enough to mow & then a few inches more so I could mulch that area & install a strip of the grass stop edging outside my planting bed. Level the dirt where you want them. Put a strip of the weed stop flabric under the block. You can trim it close w/a razir knife such as a sheetrock knife after you get finished. Those block are heavy enough to hold still while you work. I built 2 round planters to put Pygmy palms in. Just 2 courses high. Kids of all ages loved to walk on them. They never moved. Very soliid & sturdy. Price each is likely going To be higher than many brick, but it can figure out as cheap or cheaper because of their size. 2 sizes. I used the larger one. There are several colors, too.

The following from a big box store, but they are stocked in many garden centers, too.

Pavestone 4 in. x 11.75 in. x 6.75 in. River Red Concrete Retaining Wall Block

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pavestone-4-in-x-11-75-in-x-6-75-in-River-Red-Concrete-Retaining-Wall-Block-81151/100333174

• Luerettia Mack

When and how to apply the weed control fabric

• Laurie Hummel

What can I plant for full sun

• Just sprinkle some Irish 🍀 spring soap shavings around the base of your floor beds.

I mix it with Moth balls & Cayanne pepper 🌶 for the Molds 🐻🐻