Easily Turn Basic Plant Pots Into Stunning House Number Flower Pots

Have you noticed how the store layout at IKEA is very clever? The aisles are designed so you have to saunter through all of the sections unless you know how to take advantage of the shortcuts. Don't get me wrong. I love taking my time browsing through all of the store departments. I have to make it worth my while shopping at IKEA because the store is about an hour away from where I live. Plus, it is a lot of fun seeing what is new and seeing how the staff have displayed the products. It is also fun seeing how everything is displayed and a great place to be inspired.
I was in IKEA about a month ago and just as I was going through the final department before you get to the self-selection area I came across a big display of basic plant pots with matching saucers. I immediately liked the look and the price. It was also the strangest thing that when I saw them I knew immediately what I wanted to do with them. I had been wanting to make my own house number flower pots for a long time. But up until now I never found quite the right plant pots that would work for this DIY project and would look good on my front porch.
This also turned out to be a very, very easy DIY project to do with stunning results. Here is a quick overview so you can make your own too.
Plan a shopping trip to IKEA JUJUBR to buy your plant pots. They come in black and white. If you do not like these particular plant pots or cannot get to an IKEA, then any other kind and colour of plant pot will do. But I do suggest that you look for ones that have a smooth surface, come with a saucer and have a hole in the bottom for water to drain through.
Then go to Staples and buy 3" self-stick number labels. Cut out your house number digits and spray paint them gold. They come in white so you might want to keep them that colour and not spray paint them at all. Or you can spray paint them any colour you want. The possibilities for customizing your house number flower pots are endless!
The next task is to adhere one number to the side of each plant pot. Now this next step is very important. Give two coats of a matte finishing spray. This makes the plant pots moisture resistant.
The final step is to turn them into flower pots with your favourite annual flower. For the spring season I planted them with spring pansies and plan to plant different flowers later in the summer.
I placed my house number flower pots on our outdoor porch stairs leading to the front door. If you do not have stairs leading up to your front door I think they will look just as stunning evenly lined up and placed somewhere in your front yard that will showcase your house number!
For more details and instructions, I invite you to visit the blog where the complete tutorial is posted on Time With Thea (timewiththea.com)! The link is also located at the end of this post.

Time With Thea

• Jewellmartin

The pots seem to be about six inches tall since the numbers are three inches. Do you have any ideas on how to stack these for a tiny porch? Mine has room to open our glass door outward and a little space on each back corner for something like your pot project, if I could stack four pots. My front door and porch look so blah.

• Jill Willoughby

I bought a galvanized planter that has 3 small pots in one long tray. It would be great for this project.

• Sidney Rippy McLaughlin

Yeah, in Texas it might be over 100 degrees for weeks at a time. The biggest difference from up there is that it doesn't cool down at night here. It might get as cool as 80 something, but that's about it. Plus, it gets really dry in late June through mid September, so plants nearly can't be over watered!
  • Carol darden

Lovely!