New Life for a Vintage Glider and Chairs!

$400

Last summer we found a vintage glider and 2 chairs for sale on a local social media site for $150. Being a lover of all things vintage, I jumped at the chance to breathe new life in these pieces. They were in good shape with very little rust (the brown is paint over the original green paint).
The transformation is more than we could've hoped for.
Enjoy!
new life for a vintage glider and chairs , outdoor furniture, painted furniture
The glider is a basket-weave pattern; we took the glider apart and tried to sand it ourselves but it turned out to be a bigger job than we had planned on. We decided to take it to a local shop to be professionally blasted and powder-coated. I believe they charged us about $170 but they did not take out the dent in front (but we did not ask them to so we can't fuss too much).
It took us nearly a year to tackle the chairs as we decided to do them ourselves.
A view of the back of one of the chairs.
We took them apart and sandblasted the pieces individually.
Then we added a couple of coats of primer. (before and after primer)
The end result of the professional job.
Our job: painted and put back together. We purchased primer, paint, and new replacement nuts, bolts, and washers.
I have to give it to my husband! He did an outstanding job. I think I will keep him around.

• Primer
  • Paint
  • Hardware
Bonnie Shirley Coates

• Gen3376473

We have the glider. The center "loopy" seat is broken. How do we get it repaired?

• Bonnie Shirley Coates

You may be able to take it to a local in your area for repairs. A good welder should be able to fix it with no signs of the repair. Good luck!

• Lee

What kind of a place did you take it to that sand blasted it and powder coated it? I've tried contacting a couple of auto paint shops, but they wouldn't do it.

• Lucy Stone

You are awesome!! I have a glider and now I know what to do with it.

• Gail gourley

How did you do your own sand blasting please?

• Vicky Hatton

I love funkifying this old lawn furniture, too. I have found blasters in the "Services" section of Craig's List. If you have a choice, I personally prefer water blasting over sandblasting - it gives a smoother surface. I have paid anywhere from $15 - $30 per chair to have it done.

• Style-Sack

I have never seen 'glider' chairs before. Fabulous... i love what you have done to them... ( don't even know if they are available in Australia??? )

• Style-Sack

Thank you for your explanation! Interesting maybe they were only produced in the USA. I have searched around sites in Australia and don't come up with anything similar. Unique. Thank you.

• Lisa House

Stunning!