Bermudan Blue Cedar Chest Makeover

The story of how a boring beige cedar chest was turned into this Beautiful Berh's Bermudan Blue cedar chest
I found this sad little cedar chest at Goodwill and rescued it from potentially living in it's boring beige state forever.
I started by looking for some inspiration in fabric isles of Joanns and found a beautiful bold ikat print fabric to work with from their HGTV line.
When I took the old fabric off the top I was happy to discover the foam was in perfect condition.
All it needed was a layer of batting to give it a little more plushness.
After I stapled the batting on I moved on to the beautiful fabric I got from the fabric store.
Now it was time to chose a color for the bottom part of the chest, I went with Behr's Bermudan Blue and made my own DIY chalk paint. See how it matches the blue in the fabric perfectly?
The chest took three coats of paint to get it nice and uniform. I let it cure and then applied two coats of gloss poly sanding between coats.
The hardware was very chunky so I really liked it, all I had to do was give it a good scrub with Bar Keepers Friends and it was nice and new again. I love how the golden, brass color of the hardware pop against the blue.
For lots more pictures and information on this makeover follow the link to blog post!

3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Lilly

• Teresa Jones Daniel

I have a cedar chest exactly like this one and I have been thinking of painting it. Did you sand it before you painted it?

• Kay Ridley

I received mine in 1959 for graduation and have been trying to figure what to do with it. It has a blonde finish on it and no cushion. Would like to add a cushion and need to figure out how to get the crummy finish off. (It is scratched and pretty sad).

• Pam Hoeing

How did you get the top cushion off and how did you reattach it?

• Deborah Youlton

wHAT ABOUT THE HINGES, DO YOU OPEN YOURS TO STORE THINGS? tHE TOPS ARE SO HEAVY, BUT HAVE BEEN WANTING TO STRIP MINE BUT IT HAS SO MANY LAYERSOF PAINT DO YOU SUGGEST JUST SANDING IT DOWN OR TSP ? THANK YOU A BEAUTY

• Karen Strayer

After removing the hinges you can put them in a old can and cover them with paint thinner to remove the paint from them.. By letting them set it will be easier to remove.