Crate Planters

$50

Is there anyone here who can honestly raise their hand to admit they were born with two brown thumbs? If you could see me right now, that would be ME. As much as I love DIY, fashion, colors, and just all things pretty (including flowers), I’ve never been very savvy with keeping anything you have to plant ALIVE. However, there is always hope, right? I stumbled upon this super cute idea with planters and crates, and had to give it a little upcycle twist. Here’s to hoping I can keep these beauties alive!
*Note: this project could cost a little more if you do not already have the necessary hardware and tools. My husband is in construction so we always have power tools laying around. :)

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
To get started, you’ll need to paint your terracotta pots. Of course you can always buy the pretty pots already painted — or even plastic ones will do — but for this project, I wanted to go crazy with color so I chose some fun, bright colors to paint the pots with myself. I flipped the pots upside down on a big sheet of tissue paper that were in my husband’s new boot box and I attached my spray handle to the spray can. It’s not necessary to have the spray handle but it is super convenient and you won’t get paint on your finger from pressing the top of the spray can. I’ve always found that it distributes the paint more evenly than without the spray handle, but as you can see, I’m a heavy sprayer anyway.
An optional step next would be to use painter’s tape to give some of your pots a different design. I wanted to mix up my colors a bit so that the pots weren’t all one, solid color so I taped off two of my smallest pots for some contrast.
Once I painted the rims, I let them dry for a few minutes and then took smaller pieces of tape to make a little skirt for the bottom of the pots in order to block the spray paint from reaching the rim. Be careful if you decide to do this step because the tape may take some of your still-tacky paint off. The best bet would be to let the rims dry completely but I’m impatient and didn’t want to wait for the rims to dry completely.
Next, you’ll want to paint your crates if you purchased plain ones. Of course, you can always opt for a more natural look and keep them plain, but I wanted to jazz mine up.
Finally, you can start transplanting your purchased plants into your paints pots.
Last but not least, mount your crates with screws (you could also use a hammer and nails if you do not have a drill). This project would be great for your backyard fence, however, if you're like me and don't have a wooden fence, you could always fasten the crates to an old pallet. The good thing with using a pallet is that your little planter display can be relocated! I love how I was able to repurpose my old Pepsi crate that has been sitting in my basement for years (the top left crate) and add that "something old" element to two new crates that I purchased from Home Depot. I feel like the contrast of colors and sizes makes for a unique way to display my flowers. Overall, this project was a simple way to brighten up my yard and I hope it is for you other brown thumbs out there too!

• Antique Pepsi crate  (Antique Store)
  • Small square crate  (Home Depot)
  • Large wooden crate  (Home Depot)

Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen

• Debo
    Debo

Love this! I have a lot of fencing and I can't wait to copy your idea! Thanks!
  • Ann
    Ann

Where do you buy the sprayer?
    • Mis14036846
      Mis14036846

I got mine at Wal-Mart with the paint, three or four dollars, I forget which, but worth every penny.

• Kathy
    Kathy

Can't wait to do. Question ugh......where.do I get an inexpensive (Ok, cheap) pallet?

• Pat33977443
    Pat33977443

Its very very cute, i love it the paint pink!!! Thanks

• Brenda
    Brenda

You have given me the solution for a fix for my back fence. Thanks