Painted Kitchen Floor Cloth

I had just finished upgrading my rental apartment kitchen in White and Grey and the dingy beige ceramic tile looked out of place. I wanted to add some colour to the space tied in with the rest of the colour palette so decided to do a floor cloth!
painted kitchen floor cloth, flooring, kitchen design
Here is the kitchen with just the beige tile floor! Hmmmm!
I saw an area rug online that I liked the design of but it would not be a good rug for a kitchen floor.
I had all this leftover paint from my reno in grey and white. They were both water borne alkyd paints so they were compatible to mix together. I painted a test piece and let it dry to make sure it adhered to the gesso covered canvas.
I am a crafty person and so I paint on canvas. I had bought a roll of gesso primed canvas from Big Duck Canvas. 72" wide on sale for $8.99/yd US (it's still on sale as of June 25/16)
This is the exact product I purchased: http://www.bigduckcanvas.com/artists-canvas/primed-rolls/72inch-number12
It is a great weight for a floor cloth!
Next I used 1" green painter's tape and masked out my design. Next I mixed up my 4 paint colours - Black, yellow, light grey and dark grey. With a 1" sponge applicator I started painting in the coloured stripes in a radiating pattern. I painted three stripes of each colour. I tried to make sure I was not painting the same colours next to each other in the next circular pattern (I hope that makes sense) I was worried that the pattern would not work out but it just did. I also tried to keep the paint away from the edge of the tape so that it would not bleed under the tape. Once it was all dry after a day I sealed the entire surface with a satin poly-acrylic sealer. You want to seal it to prevent wet spills like coffee from staining the unpainted white gesso. Once everything was dry I folded the edges using a square to make sure it was straight and used large paper clips to hold the fold pressing firmly. I used my hot glue gun to secure the fold to the back side of the carpet.
This is the finished floor cloth! I know this design might not be everyone's taste but I like bold graphic designs. I love grey and yellow pattern combinations. Instead of yellow you could use turquoise or another suitable colour. I also continued the pattern beyond the width I needed for the rug and did a flat valence for over the window.
I have since used my floor steamer to clean it and it has held up just fine.
I did not have to buy paint as I had everything on hand and was trying to use up what I had.
When it comes time to do another floor cloth I would purchase 1 qt. paint samples (testers) mixed to the colours I wanted to use from one of the big box stores that sells them. I will be doing a cloth for my balcony next!
UPDATE: I did end up purchasing an underpad at lowes: https://www.lowes.ca/rug-pads/mohawk-home-mohawk-home-rug-pad-better_11501326.html
It holds the floor cloth very well and it adds a slight amount of cushion underfoot!

• Val

I love this, you did a great job, I love your design.

• Kaz

Really nice job..looks wonderful 😊