Whitney
Whitney
  • Jacksonville, FL

$40 Coffee Table Got a Bright New Look!

I picked up a water-warped coffee table for $40 because I loved the lines! After sanding, staining and painting wouldn't hide the warps (link to sanding/staining post: http://drabtofabdesign.com/2013/06/major-coffee-table-fail/) , I opted for an inexpensive created alternative!! About $15 later (spray paint, 10 bags of marbles, and super glue) my little coffee table is shiny and unique! I am so happy the prior makeover methods didn't work out because I love the bright fun pop of color it now brings to my room! I chose not to use a poly self leveler on top because I made the top removable, but that's a post for another day. ;)
coffee table with a bright new look, painted furniture, 1 In the before photo you can see the previous owner left drinking glasses on the table which left some pretty ugly water warps I did my best to sand it down but wasn t able to get a completely flat surface
1) In the "before" photo, you can see the previous owner left drinking glasses on the table, which left some pretty ugly water warps. I did my best to sand it down, but wasn't able to get a completely flat surface.
coffee table with a bright new look, painted furniture, 2 I taped off the top and painted the table Rustoleum American Accents Bright Metallic Gold
2) I taped off the top and painted the table Rustoleum American Accents Bright Metallic Gold.
coffee table with a bright new look, painted furniture, 3 I started to stain the top using a dark stain we had leftover from refinishing our hardward floors The stain concealed the water marks but I immediately hated the dark stain gold combo
3) I started to stain the top using a dark stain we had leftover from refinishing our hardward floors. The stain concealed the water marks, but I immediately hated the dark stain/gold combo.
coffee table with a bright new look, painted furniture, 4 So I went the opposite direction and painted the top white I love the white and gold together but the water marks were more visible than ever
4) So I went the opposite direction and painted the top white. I love the white and gold together, but the water marks were more visible than ever. :(
coffee table with a bright new look, painted furniture, 5 Finally I bought marble gems and super glue from Dollar Tree who would ve thought and it worked perfectly The marbles are beautiful on the gold table
5) Finally, I bought marble gems and super glue from Dollar Tree (who would've thought?!) and it worked perfectly! The marbles are beautiful on the gold table.
coffee table with a bright new look, painted furniture, I love the eclectic look and the marble colors tie in with the other furniture in my room Third time was the charm
I love the eclectic look and the marble colors tie in with the other furniture in my room. Third time was the charm!
coffee table with a bright new look, painted furniture
coffee table with a bright new look, painted furniture, I styled it with a customizable sweet ottoman tray Post about that here
I styled it with a customizable sweet ottoman tray. Post about that here: http://drabtofabdesign.com/2013/07/punchy-pillows-trendy-trays-free-swag/
coffee table with a bright new look, painted furniture, A glimpse at the whole room
A glimpse at the whole room!
Whitney

• Jud11526274

just beautiful! Can you do this on a table that doesn't have a lip? thanks

• Amy

So sophisticated but fun! May I ask which gold paint you used? Each gold paint/spray paint looks so different and I like yours. Thank you.

• Vc Blackwell

Rustoleum American Accents Bright Metallic Gold. I know this question is months old., but you missed this info that was included in the article., Hope you can still use it.

• Krystal Young

did you have any issues with the top being bumpy? I have an end table that is composite and the stuff peeled off the top... I was thinking about doing this for it. there's no lip though.

• San24523607

Oh I l if all the other ideas u did in the final pic.Ty

• Stephanie Jones

Love love love this coffee table its very unique . I have a side table that im working on and u just gave me a ideal thanks so much