DIY Litter Box Hider

Looking to hide that ugly litter box without breaking the bank?! I found this old side table and turned it into a rustic chic litter box hider for less than $50.00!
Look for a piece of furniture that is wide enough to fit a litter box with a little extra room. Also keep in mind it can't be too high or your kitty won't be able to get inside! Look for a piece that is sturdy wood instead of particle board.
I measured the hole and made a square with a sharpie and then just followed the lines with a saw! This is the hardest part of the whole project so you need some muscles.
I then painted the entire piece an off white color. I did this very quickly and it was messy because I knew I was going to cover it. Let it dry overnight. I then painted another coat of off white and let it dry. You then use vasoline ( yes the kind in your bathroom!) and slather it on some edges where you want it to look extra rustic. Then I used a soft green color to paint over the white and right over the Vaseline. I also did this somewhat messy because I was going for that rustic look. Let this dry for a few hours, still a little sticky. You then go in with an old dry rag and rub the areas where you put Vaseline. You will begin to see some of the white come through underneath. This gives it that old rustic look. Finally, I took a champagne colored spray paint and very lightly sprayed all over the piece as well as the bottom scalloped metal piece. Lastly I changed out the hardware!
I used a wooden edging and cut it to fit the edges of the hole so kitty doesn't rub on raw wood.

• Old bedside table (choose wood not particle board)

• Melissa Leahy

How do you keep that enclosed space from
    getting stinky? Love
    the idea of having it in an enclosed space.. did the cat get used to Going in and out easily?
    • Janet

If the hole was a little smaller it would keep the dogs out of the nasty kitty crunchies.

• Johanne Palange

Hidden litter boxes are a very esthetic solution. Keep in mind that you must have ease of access to the box itself for cleaning. However, don't be surprised if a cat refuses to use it (some do, especially if you have more than one cat) because they prefer to be able to see around them to check for any oncoming dangers before putting themselves in a vulnerable position. As for preventing stinky odors in the enclosure, you need to clean the box at least twice a day. Also, put enough litter in the box so that moisture never touches the bottom of the litter.

• Jona Denz-Hamilton

I agree with Denise. World's Best Cat Litter is fantastic. Our kitties love it and it's super easy to scoop--no sticking!