Easiest Under the Sink Organizer Hack

$10

If you have a mess under your kitchen sink cabinet, there’s no need to fret! I have a super easy and cheap solution, and all it takes is 15 minutes, a tension rod and some plastic baskets. Bonus: it only costs $10 so say goodbye to that mess!
Here’s how my messy cabinet looked when I started this project. Not a pretty sight, right? Step 1: Empty out the Cabinet
I started by pulling everything out from under my sink. Emptying the sink cabinets allowed me to sort everything easily and quickly, and to get a good look at the space I had to work with. Step 2: Put up a Tension Rod
I decided to wedge in a tension rod, in order to create two "levels" for my cleaning supply storage. If you have a lot of bottles or baskets, you can even squeeze in two tension rods. Step 3: Hang up Spray Bottles
Most of my cleaning supplies are in spray bottles, so they fit perfectly over a tension rod, which clears up the much-needed floor space. Step 4: Organize Your Large Supplies
Now that I had that free space (thank you, tension rod!), I slid all the larger items I don’t use as regularly to the back of the cabinet, and put the larger items I do use regularly (like garbage bags) in the front of them. Step 5: Bring in Baskets
I laid out 3 plastic baskets and put all the medium and smaller items inside. Some of the more expensive under the sink organization kits have drawers, but plastic baskets slide in and out beautifully (and they're inexpensive), so I'm very happy with them. I wanted to corral everything in baskets so that if something spills, I can just rinse out the basket instead of having to clean everything under my sink.
Enjoy saving time and effort the next time you need to clean up a mess!
We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

• Jean

Did this and rod slipped. Maybe didn't use a strong enough rod. Did you use a curtain rod or a shower curtain rod which is stronger? Many spray bottles didn't fit over the shower curtain rod because of the rod's diameter. Glad it worked for you and such a clever idea, only wished it worked for me.

• Helen Higgason

You need to use a tension rod......

• Jean

Helen, I did but it was just for a window curtain and thought maybe a shower curtain tension rod might be better.

• Shawna Bailey

I used a rod meant for a shower curtain, because of the strength. I only had one bottle that wouldn't go over the rod.

• Linda Sikut

If one bottle doesn't fit, add a shower curtain ring onto the rod. The diameter of those are smaller so it should work.
  • Peggy

I like the idea, but does a tension rod really hold all those spray bottles without collapsing?

• Darlene Hengel Thomez

I have tried the tension rod idea at my house & it kept fall ....

• Betty jo

Try using those rings that ya use to hang up closet rods

• Ire2995456

Good answer thanks

• Sandy

Yes it works

• Karen Williams

If you have spray bottles that won't hang well, add a shower ring & hang the bottle on that.

• Shawna Bailey

Yes it works just get a good tension rod. Mine is meant to be for a shower curtain, which takes a lot of pulling from hands.

• Eloise

I have several of these tension rods throughout my house and really like the space they free up. There is a limit to how much weight each will support, and there are really cheap tension rods which hold very little weight, then there are some strong enough to hold a person's weight (I used to have one mounted in the door between my kitchen and dining room and did pull ups routinely).

• Mar8025867

Tried it ..did not work for me..

• Pam Quinn Jackson

I also have a kitchen garbage can under one side of my sink, but I'm planning to put the tension rod from front to back on the open side, rather than side to side across the width of the cabinet.

• Carol Covino Deeb

Mine keeps falling down also. I guess I have the wrong kind of tension rod.

• Kapi'olani Kamai

I have 1 small frying pan, 2 large skillets, 1 sauce pot, 1 soup pot and 2 covers hanging from a tension rod above our sink, it's never budged! #ihearttensionrods

• Linda Sikut

You can't use those flimsy tension rods made for café curtains. You need the ones used in a bathroom for a second shower curtain. Those are sturdier and can take more weight. You also might have to make them tighter to hold everything up.
    • Tlw6933834

You could screw a small block of wood that the rod would rest on so that it doesn't slip...

• Barbara Kraemer

Does no one have a garbage disposal

• Pattie Jaworski

Me too!

• Sophia,M.,McConnery

None here!

• William D Davis Jr

Not here.

• WENDY

the only houses I know that have them are on sewer system, but those of us on septic don't have them.

• Louise

We have been on both systems and have had disposals. I don't like this design because the bottles are in the way of what is behind them. Disposals do take up some room.....work around it.

• Cecelia

Slide the bottles to one side to access the stuff in the back.

• Anna Wright

we have one but there is plenty of room in front of it to hang a tension rod. In fact, this idea will help when you have a disposal as it will increase your storage space and make up for the fact that the disposal takes up a lot of room.

• Larry Byers

You can hang rubber gloves, dish cloths Etc in front of the disposal. I would say be imaginative and just tell the original writer, GOOD JOB,

• BM

With a garbage disposer! I just bought different size bins. But, if I didn't have a disposer I would use the writers idea. Good job!!

easiest under the sink organizer hack, how to, organizing, storage ideas
    • Rut8492704

I only have one question? Why would you store granola bars under your kitchen sink?

• Karen Williams

We have a corner cabinet w/ double sink = awkward storage space, but not only have garbage disposal, also RO tank & filters! Extra space, gone! I use a tray (like a large plastic lunch tray), to store assorted items that will fit under the disposal (slide out to reach back items), roll of paper towels on top of tank & roll of trashcan liners in the middle. I like the idea & have used tension rods in a myriad of places, this might work elsewhere for me.

• Lori Rosenau

I love the idea,but I have a garbage disposal,water filter and a small trash bin under my sink! There's no room for a trash bin any where else!

• Shawna Bailey

Nope, none in my house.

• Cathy

My problem is my trash can is on one side under my sink No where else to put it either. And a garbage disposal on the other side. Whats a woman to do?

• Ruth Ann

This is probably a bathroom sink.

• Angela Cisco

The reason most people with septic systems are discouraged from having a garbage disposal is because the food waste and oils will form a film over the liquid in the tank, killing the aerobic bacteria that keeps the waste biodegrading. They are notorious for causing septic back ups due to backed up waste that can't break down due to the oil and grease.

• Lori Rosenau

Thank you for the info. I've lived in the city for too long. I've forgotten about septic tanks.

• Sherrie

Haven't had one in years.

• Sue

We don't (mostly) have them in Canada because we compost our veg. waste and the city picks up other food waste and aerobically (?sp) composts it. We recycle 'most everything else.
    • Anna Vincent

There are other cupboards you could use -- this was just an example.
    • Gus26951580

Those with septic tanks can put in yeast (the kind you use for baking) and it helps with the break up of the waste in the tank. I think we use a 1/2 cup each month and it is not a poisonous solution. Buy it in a large bag at Gordon foods. We do mulch most of the veg. waste.
      .
    • Susan Snyder

Garbage disposals are not permitted in all towns. There are many local Construction Depts that won't issue the necessary electrical and building permits, calling disposals "potentially hazardous" or "dangerous". I live in a borough that doesn't allow them, grew up in another, and worked for yet another. I probably wouldn't use it anyway thanks to composting & recycling.
    • Roc25444954

Use it constantly, couldn't live without one.
  • Jo

I haven't tried this but how about thinking of it more like a rod in a closet? Instead of a tension rod that could fall down use a rod and firmly attach it to the sides.

• JR McGinnis

I have used a tension rod with no problem. Closet rod would require installation. Tension rod much easier and works great.

• Billie

I had a tension rod in my laundry room to hang clothes up when I take them out of the dryer. It was falling down about every couple of months.

• Karen Williams

I installed a Valet Rod (from www.organize.com) -- it disappears when I don't need it & there to hang things to dry quickly or as I empty the dryer. LOVE, love, love it!!

• Karen Williams

Forgot to mention the valet rods (telescoping type) are in the laundry room & sewing room. I think they'd work in LOTS of situations & are VERY strong.

• Car3787789

If very much weight is placed on the tension rods it will come down and my short fuse aka as temper can't handle it. Have tried unsuccessful. But if it works for you great

• Shawna Bailey

It works well just buy a solid tension rod. If you see mine is a thicker plastic one meant to hold up a shower curtain not those thin metal ones.

• Patti Eckardt

don't get the thin cheap one, mine cannot hold much weight and sags in the middle if a bottle is heavy. But I could see a thicker rod holding up just fine

• Kapi'olani Kamai

• Sue

Why do you have food under there???

• Sharry Graham

Yes, why?

• Lonna Lipparelli

I am wondering this also. and ziplock bags for food storage??

• Diane Allen

More than likely just to fill the space for photos. Just pretend they are something else!

• Jane

Food under there turns me off from this site. We have a new kitchen and have a drawer under the sink. Great for dish towels etc and no wasted space. Had the pipes at the very back of the space so the drawer is not full depth.
    • 12615790218

Chemicals mixed with Nature Valley crunch bars .....

• Jak

strange yes ! sooo petty janeschr.
    • Hha22216925

Maybe she uses boxes from other things to store stuff in too?? I use boxes from other products to put other things in to store.
    • Rad12373557

Actually it’s none of your business what she stores there. She was nice enuf to share.

• Dic28751029

Raderm12 has the perfect answer!! Thanks
    • 12372060

Thank You for sharing! Yes, it doesn't matter why that box is in there, we get the point!
    • Geo21868701

I am quite Sure box is about size or reuse. Thank you for sharing a great idea. We all see ideas we are not drawn to, hoping we can just not comment or we may miss good ideas from people who will stop posting.
    • Ronald Parks

Hey, the mice have to eat something!
    • Sandy

It was a joke. She said she puts items she doesn't use very often in the back!!
  • Tie29554672

Really a great idea, but I noticed that most of the spray bottles are not even half filled up, which leads me to believe full ones might be too heavy for the tension rod....so, where are you storing the bigger refill bottles??? I live in a rather large Condo, but storage space like this suggests is at a premium. Great idea though!!!!
    And PS... you could easily work those bins around a garbage disposal. The tension rod with its hanging bottles should not touch it at all.
    • Irene

I've done this a couple of years ago, and yes if the bottles are full you might just need a heavier weight tension rod. I used a shower tension rod and it works beautifully. Great share, thanks.
    • Jo Roff

Their using a shower curtain rod.

• Cheryl

I have these hanging in ALL my closets. I hang my longer items on the original top rod and shirts on the bottom rod. You can buy little plastic cups, at Lowe's/Home Depot that will hold up about anything. Just screw them into the wall/cabinet, at the ends and drop in rod.
  • Sarah

What is purpose of unused rod?
    • Irene

Looks like the rod was already there before the new rod was added. I'd just ignore that part.
    • Janice

That is a pipe
    • Mary Lee Brawley

I bet it's support for the sink. Not another tension rod.
    • Jug27817892

When she mentioned putting up more rods, Im sure she meant, if you need more room for hanging bottles up, you can put in more rods behind the first rod. That way you would have more rods of hanging spray bottles,.

• Christine

Why do you have granola bars under the sink?
  • Clay

Why would you store food in the same area as cleaning supplies?
    • Ann28692951

NO!!..Duh!
    • Nat

I noticed that too
    • Cec

That was the first thing I thought - granola bars with cleaning supplies. YUK.
    • Leanne M. Peters

No one would throw things under a sink like that. Duh. Like the rod idea tho
    • Haley Hinds

Think outside of the box folks... maybe they are recycling a big box and using it for other storage... focus on the task at hand...
    • Patricia Goll Thompson

I wondered the same thing myself.
    • Regina Adair

Hark go the bells Sweet silver bells..... I’m doing this Idea!!!!

• Bijoux

That was the first thing I noticed that was "odd", but then I thought maybe the box was the right size for something else you need to store, hopefully!!!
      I save boxes for storage.
    • Sandy

Fantastic idea! How clean it looks! I'm doing this!
    • Shari Fryrear

I am sure she isn't storing her food unsafely. Just try to see the item for it's value and try not to be critical. We don't need negative we just need to see the positive ideas being shown. I am defiintely doing this
    • Shawna Truman

Cockroaches lay their eggs in cardboard do when the babies hatch they can eat the cardboard to live. The best place for their cardboard is a warm( next to dishwasher) damp area such as under a sink. Saving and using cardboard for storage is big trouble for sure.
  • Mim21824784

I'm inspired. Just 2 quick questions. Will the tension rod hold a bottle of glass cleaner as well. They are a little heavier than what I'm seeing on the rod under the sink in photos above. And what sized plastic bins are you using on the bottom of the cabinet? Thank you so much for sharing this great idea. The bottom of my sink is so unorcanized and it drives me crazy. Smile BIG! :)

Mary from NH
    • Ecb Hamaker

I had the same concern, so I purchased a wood dowel small enough in diameter to hook spray bottles over it. I also bought a set of wood, closet pole sockets. (See pictures.) Hubby attached sockets to wall and cut pole to fit. Presto! This supports a large number of full spray bottles with no problem. You can get these most hardware stores. The sockets were about $2. Can't remember cost of pole.
    • Wendy Leung

Properly installed Wood dowel would be more substantial than the tension rod.
  • Caz12973789

are you crazy .... food in a cabinet filled with chemicals ????????????????????
    • Ann Braxmeier

Who said that? No food with chemicals.
    • Jackie Little

She mentioned that some of the items are for advertising, since I can see all the comments about the granola bars, I guess it worked...
    • Barbara

I see Nature Valley Bars under the sink...why would you want to put them there??
    • Olga Thornton

Have you every put Walmart bags in the empty box of some food???
    • Sheri

Cazzie501: Apparently you missed the disclaimer right under the video.
    • Maggie

That doesn't look like anyone's "under kitchen sink" that I have ever seen.

• Sue

Where does the trash can go? That is often under the sink, which would be hard to work out with a tension rod. Otherwise,good Idea. I solved my under the sink problems by getting rid of most everything.
    • Gwyn Dean

This idea title I thought was for dishcloth hanging until I saw it in action. However, I found that adding ceramic tiles on the bottom and rubber coated wire shelves made more sense than hanging falling spray bottles when you reach in to pick up those basket items.

• Grace Ricalde

Where can I purchase that exact rod?
  • Carmen VanWey Booz

do you customarily store your food under the kitchen sink?
    • Dra29054680

No
    • Gwen

It's probably was an empty box and reused..😜
    • Bec

I was wondering the same thing? Also sandwich bags??? I would never put food stuff under the sink with cleaners?? Ick!
    • Elizabeth

it's a big bag, not a box...and doesn't look as though it holds anything else. I would also not store ziplock bags there IF they're to be used for food...since moisture or leaks can create havoc under any sink. Mine go in the end drawer with foil and plastic wrap, and I use small ziplock bags in that same drawer to hold twist ties and rubber bands. Otherwise, this does look nice and tidy afterwards. Another idea would be to hang a curtain ring over the rod with a clothespin to grip the rubber gloves..making them a wee bit more accessible for those of us who have difficulty bending. I like this idea since it would give me easier access to my most used spray bottles.
    • Cherylhvac

Yes, i'm sure it was... i repurpose so many old boxes... i organized all my mom's medical supplies using kleenex boxes. totally cleaned up kitchen junk drawer... made organizers for kitchen drawers using various size boxes. old boxes to organize small sacks... etc. I have a stash of boxes ... just have to think... "outside the box!"
    • Barbara German

Good idea...I need to figure around the garbage disposal but something to think about!
    • D.

Thank you Cherylhvc and all of the other thoughtful people for your kind and useful responses to this post.
      This is why I joined this community - for the lovely and caring people.
      You made my day better.
      God bless you,
      DEE
    • Gail Willson

Elizabeth - I LOVE your idea about the curtain ring and clothes peg for hanging rubber gloves!

I also like the curtain rod idea.

Thanks to both of you.
    • Anita Hargreaves

Great idea !!
    • Mom14264576

What a quick and easy idea!
    • Phyllis Williams

I never did see food but I'm afraid I would knock the bottles off rod when reaching for other things.
    • KP Callahan

I bet you're tired of people noticing the granola box, aren't you?  Another user repurposes boxes to use as storage, but she wrapped them in either Contact paper or wrapping paper (depending on how "moist" the storage area).

• Dottie Cooper

I loved this idea!! Thank you!!
    • Tim Orr

Do you customarily prove there are such things as stupid questions?

• Lisbeth Slabotsky

It is an awesome idea. I have just one question... who stores food bars with their cleaning products??
    • Jac27524754

I thought the same thing!

• Lis29619139

LMBO, I didn't want to say that. I'm so glad you Did! 😂
    • Rebecca Parrish

Me too

• Tonya Varner

Only A FOOL!!! DUH WERE IS THE PERSON'S BRAINS
    • She16902363

I was going to ask the same question about the "crunch" bars, but I see you all have beat me to it.... Shelia - Raleigh, NC
    • Brenda J. Molina

I thought the same thing! Then wondered if there are some cleaning supplies hiding in the box! If it is not holding any cleaning stuff, why would she store food with cleanin products??!!!
    • Dianne

I wondered the same...which totally distracts me from the really good storage/organizing ideas! ( don't eat the bars 😜)
  • Met29871956

Did you forget that most sinks have a garbage disposal And /😳
    • Carla Randall

That's probably true but lots of us are in rural areas on wells. I prefer not to have a disposal so this would be great for me.
    • Lis29619139

I thought the exact same thing. This must be for under bathroom sinks. 🤔
    • Bklyn Cowgirl

I'm sure that she didn't. Obviously, hers does not. Neither does mine. Looks good to me.
    • Eep

I have a septic tank and recycle my food wate, I’d never have a garbage disposal. I end up with black gold instead, for my garden.
    • Missy Burch

so not true- i don't have one. i think this is the bathroom anyway.
    • Peg28062313

I have a garbage disposal and there's plenty of room for a tension rod and storage.
    • September

Missy, the very first line says “If you have a mess under your kitchen sink cabinet, there’s no need to fret!”
    • Jan Koelsch

Could work with garbage disposal, just not the whole rod would be used. Definitely would work in the bathroom. Maybe the granola is just the box and not the product itself. Easy to jump to conclusions, isn't it. I love the idea and will definitely give it try. One of the purposes, I think of DIY things is stimulate us to seek a solution, try something new or just appreciate someone's contribution. The other thing I think about is how critical do I really need to be. Is it really necessary?  Thanks for sharing.
  • Linda Kunstmann

Do you really store granola bars under the sink with cleaning supplies?
    • Eileen Kane-Gemmell

You should never store food with cleaning products
    • Kathy Young

I wondered about that too. But I do love the idea! Might try to do in the front of cabinet for hanging spray bottles as the garbage disposal is in the way in the back

• Katherine Clemence

It's an upcycled box
    • Kim

I think she was just staging the cabinet for you to see the tension rod and bottles. Lighten up everyone. :)
    • Cap30055728

I was thinking the same thing! What in the world!
  • Eleanor Gutheil

why would you put food under the sink?
  • Diane

How much do you think it cost nature maid for that advertisement?
  • Sus11282712

Why would you put food as in green box of granola bars in with cleaning chemicals??
    • Debbie Kinoshita

Wondered about that myself too.

• Priscilla Holland

Hopefully no food in that box. But they are wonderful boxes for storing "stuff" of all kinds.
    • Autumn Brehm

Hum...food and chemicals? The same thing? I wonder.
    • Richard Lowell

In case she wants a snack whle cleaning ;)

• Shirley Barnett

That's the cleanest under the sink display I have ever seen. Looks brand new. I think she was showing you a way to store things neatly not tell her what to store where.
    • Jerry Morgan

I was thinking the same thing myself! Wow
    • Mon23767417

I have an empty box of similar size and food type under my sink. I put grocery bags in it.
    • Valerie

She's probably just using it to store something in it. Or, just seeing if anyone would notice...😉
    • Rpm10931027

I would guess that she was hiding them from the kids. Why would they look in there?
    • 98713223230

I love this idea, it's so nice to have all of your cleaning supplies in bottles hanging. I get so irritated when I get a trash bag out & all or a few of my bottles get knocked over. I'll definitely be trying this. I also have a box under my sink to stuff Grocery bags in. 😁 Who really cares what's in that box? 🙃😛
    • Sau21679143

you can also slip a roll of paper towels over the tension rod
    • Sau21679143

great idea and nice job!
    • Sou3567451

Great idea will start this project ASAP, thanks for sharing.
    • Lulu Hernandez

To see if someone would ask, and now that you have, I'm sure she'll remove it
    • Jill

Who cares?! Dumb question. Moving on.... This is a great idea and it beats the over-the-door hanging things my roommate put in that don't allow the doors to close anymore! Thank you so much for sharing this with us all!
    • Tx dog lady

Simply ingenious !!
    • Danielle Odin

I have a trash bin that hangs inside the door on one side and the rest is all straight because I only use baking soda and vinegar to clean so there aren't too many things to store.
    • Pat4799252

Great idea! We all have so many spray bottles containing cleaners now they're out of the way! You go girl !!!
  • Paulette Owens

wow, how smart you are. I went from a 2-1/2 story house to one less than 1000 sq feet so storage is almost non-existent. House was built in the mid-80's. 3 tiny brs and 1-1/2 bath. Attached storage area that you must access from outside. Would love some more pointers on how yo MAXIMIZE
    • Bet1469441

Two bins one with handle for cleaning supplies I take to different locations in house, the other for my larger items which I use to fill smaller ones . I also store my refuse bin under sink. It is small enough for small food scraps and has a lid and handle. A hook on door holds my dish towel.
  • Paulette Owens

would this work in a closet
  • Kathleen Dooley

Why the 2 rods?

• Hank Arnold

Curious, you really store Nature Valley bars under the sink with chemicals?

THIS is a great idea!!
    • Donald

I thought that very same thing.
    • Donna Wallace Baggett

That was my very first thought as well.
    • Ham27748956

Maybe she just used that good sturdy box to hold something else...
    • Harlean Greathouse

Perhaps, like me, they store items of all sorts in large boxes that once held other things such as food or even shoes. I use lots of boxes cut down to store magazines in. After all, the whole purpose of these hacks is to save money.
    • Hank Arnold

Great idea!
    • Etienne Steyn

I was also thinking the same thing. How can you store food with chemicals

• Portia

I didn't see the Nature Valley bars in any of the pictures where did you all spot them?

• Brenda Campbell

LOL I saw it too yummy nothing like Nature Valley bars to entice the children to go in there and wash it down with a chemical. . Isn't it funny how we all pick up on the strangest things

• Michelle

Lets just say No. We do not store food and chemicals together.

• Mary M

In back on right. I suspect she is using the box.

• NeNe

It's a deterrent for mice & ants. U know the mice that can get the food out of the traps. The NV box is a check-in that they never check-out.😂

• Sandra Jean Adkins

Zip lock baggies too. Right where someone can get poison in their system.

• Jessica Lissette

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂 it doesn't matter, it's just a funny comment 😂🤣😂🤣

• Peggy

I'v done this & found some of the spray bottles no longer work. Something with the trigger. Has anyone else had this happen?
    • Janet

one of my mechanically inclined sons ( I have three) informed me that a drop of veggie oil on the trigger mechanism will free it up and make it work again-guess what? It worked!
    • Lin

Thanks for that answer....i have had the same problem of the trigger no longer working...it's like it throws it out of line but I'll try the veggie oil.
    • Chantell Liles

You can also use the rod to put a roll of paper towels on, hang drying tea towels, small hook basket to hold kitchen scrubbers and other things that are in the bin laden below. Swap the spaces. Turn table (lazy Susan) works great under the sink too.
    • Margo Dias-Dalmida

You can also S hook the plastic baskets to the rods.

• Sandra Jean Adkins

Use a metal rod and the cup type holders they are installed with and you won’t have a problem with anything falling, Lowes will cut them to size.

• Veronica Elliott Enriquez

I have my scrubbers & s.o.s pads etc. in a plastic dishwasher pod container with lid. Just in case I get a leak under sink...again.

• Barbara dodson

I have tried this and if I put more than 2 bottles on the tension rod, it falls. I have tightened and tightened without improvement. Solutions?
    • Trina Anderson Browning

Sounds like you need a rod with stronger tension.
    • Cindy

What about installing a couple of those metal cup shaped rod holders like you can use for shower curtain rods?
    • Barb in Texas

Or screw or glue blocks under the tension walls, on the sides of the cabinet, to keep the rods from sliding. I had to do that in my closets, because my clothes were too heavy for the rods.
    • Charles Chuck W. Jones

How ‘bout growing a brain!!!
    • David

There are all types of tension bars. Other than the shower bars they will not hold much weight and fall. Besides, look at the picture, there is hardly anything in the bottles and others are small. Use the shower bar and not a lot of weight should work, maybe.
    • Teg31271377

for the plastic bins use shoe boxes from dollar tree $1.00 !!

• Leslie

Barbara, I just tried this and I had smaller tension rods on hand, the kind you may use with an over the sink window valance. Not large by any means. First time I put it up and hooked my spray bottles on it fell in about a half hour. I realized that in order for the tension rod to work it needed to be level and and even distance from top to rod and front of cabinet case to back. So I just sat on the floor and eyeballed it and it hasn't fallen yet. Good Luck :)
    • Terri Adams

I tried using a tension rod and it collapsed. So, I used closet pole sockets and a wood dowel cut to fit inside the cabinet. The cost for hardware and dowel was under $5. So, if the dowel starts to warp and become unusable, it's inexpensive to replace.
    • Allison Newby

Terri you could easily go to Lowe's and buy a 10ft 1/2 inch piece of conduit in the electrical/wire section. It's about $2.38 . The nice peeople there will probably cut it to any length you may need. I use it for curtain rods bc it's cheap, easy to cut , and will last a long time. Good luck . Oh and to get it to stay up there in under the sink you could take a drill and a 1/2 inch paddle bit and drill a hole in a small block of wood and do this to two blocks place the blocks on the end of the conduit and slide it in then screw it to the sides of the sink. Or use a shower rods holder. You got this !!!! Sorry so lengthy but it happens. TOODLES!

• Portia

For a few pennies more you can get the big round out its baby big as round as a small cucumber and they're heavier they're meant for like legs on a table or closet rods but they're wooden and they're great big around maybe bigger than a quarter around butt I think they're like$2 versus $0.69 but it would be worth the money

• Mary M

Or stick those felt stick on circles on the wall and put the rod end on them.

• Denise Wettering

Or 1$ baskets from real deals or dollar tree

• Frederic Paul

Use closet rod holders and change to a wood closet rod or medium size dowel

• I have corner cabinet underneath sink what can I do with this one

• Felecia Sheffield

HOw to declutter my closet

• Barbara Hinkle Hetzer

Where is the trash can ? We keep ours under the sink.

• Sherry Duplichain

I have a garbage disposal also under the sink. What design would work for me?

• Shirley Weyandt

where can I find tension rods?

• HASTINGS

Walmart or amazon carries them

• CMelby

Big Lots and At Home

• CMelby

Also, you will need to put something for the rod ends to prevent them from sliding down...similar to shower rod...those plastic or metal circular holders...could screw a small piece of wood too. It works otherwise.

• Roberta Tice

Wal mart

• Anne Marie Thompson

WI'll this work with a large garbage disposal ?

• Vickie Louie

I keep my garbage pail under the sink so what could I do

• Kathleen

You put food under there??.?

• Dolores Lyons-Meade

what about a corner sink?

• Wendy Brown

Kirkland garbage bags? Our bank gave out Kirkland dog biscuits just once and the dogs couldn't wait to get them. Where do you buy Kirkland? Great sink clean up hack. mines an atrocious mess. How about a dog food cat food or cast iron pan pile organization? My stove has cast iron on the top and I can't keep it in the oven because I bake. Is there a rack for heavy stuff? Is building one possible?

• Tammi Petty

Do you really keep granola bars under your sink. ??? 😜

• Melissa Copen

Lol..my thoughts exactly!

• Lysa

The best place to hide snacks from teenagers, is behind cleaning supplies. LOL

• Traybell

I think the box is empty and stirring some sponges or cleaning towels...(wouldn't you think?) 😋 I'm going to do this today!

• Laura Cecil Bobby Cecil

Lol, I saw your response and laughed out loud, I was thinking the same thing. How about some cleaning spray and snack to go with it.

• Shariw1007

Oh my gosh you guys, that’s all I could think of too!! FOOD under the kitchen sink with cleaning supplies!! 😳

• Holly Webber

Im glad I wasn't the only one saying this. I seen Nature Valley and I'm thinking huh! Who keeps granola bars under sink with all the cleaning supplies??😂

• Brenda

That’s hilarious!

• LuAnn Sippel Bennett

All I saw was the granola bar pkg..thinking really she keeps food under the sink?

• Patricia Gutierrez Stone

was thinking the same thing. It's unsafe to keep food with cleaning supplies. I hope there's something else in the box but great idea.

• Hope Martin

Oh, I'm going to try this. One question I have is, do you think the tension rod will eventually put dents or holes in the cabinet?

• Arleen Garrido Mansfield

I was thinking the same. I wonder if a put a double felt circle might help...my opinion only.

• Jfelcie

Who would even notice a dent under the sink?

• Kathy Ellerbee

A tension rod wouldn't put a hole, but it may not hold allot of bottles, not because of space, but because of the weight of the bottles.

• Hope Martin

It's not if anyone notices. It's the fact that once one thing is damaged it creates other issues. For example, if it's a small hole... it gets bigger and bigger. After having 3 boys and 2 girls I have learned that small issues become large over time.

• David Pivovar

No, I’ve been using a tension rod under my sink for years and have had no issues with dents or damage. It really works as described.

• Phyllis Meckley

Good idea !! Thanks for sharing

• Debi Jo

I would add 2 rods a little a part some spray bottles dont stay on..

• Hope Martin

I am going to try this under my bathroom sinks. I do not have room for a tension rod under my kitchen sin