Shawna Bailey
Shawna Bailey
  • West Orange, NJ

Easiest Under the Sink Organizer Hack

$10

If you have a mess under your kitchen sink cabinet, there’s no need to fret! I have a super easy and cheap solution, and all it takes is 15 minutes, a tension rod and some plastic baskets. Bonus: it only costs $10 so say goodbye to that mess!
easiest under the sink organizer hack, how to, organizing, storage ideas
Here’s how my messy cabinet looked when I started this project. Not a pretty sight, right? Step 1: Empty out the Cabinet
I started by pulling everything out from under my sink. Emptying the sink cabinets allowed me to sort everything easily and quickly, and to get a good look at the space I had to work with. Step 2: Put up a Tension Rod
I decided to wedge in a tension rod, in order to create two "levels" for my cleaning supply storage. If you have a lot of bottles or baskets, you can even squeeze in two tension rods. Step 3: Hang up Spray Bottles
Most of my cleaning supplies are in spray bottles, so they fit perfectly over a tension rod, which clears up the much-needed floor space. Step 4: Organize Your Large Supplies
Now that I had that free space (thank you, tension rod!), I slid all the larger items I don’t use as regularly to the back of the cabinet, and put the larger items I do use regularly (like garbage bags) in the front of them. Step 5: Bring in Baskets
I laid out 3 plastic baskets and put all the medium and smaller items inside. Some of the more expensive under the sink organization kits have drawers, but plastic baskets slide in and out beautifully (and they're inexpensive), so I'm very happy with them. I wanted to corral everything in baskets so that if something spills, I can just rinse out the basket instead of having to clean everything under my sink.
Enjoy saving time and effort the next time you need to clean up a mess!
We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 15, 2018 11:37 PM - More info

• Bettie Jones

do you really keep your granola bars under your sink with your cleaning supplies?

• Sme11272357

No, definitely granola bars. But dog treats really shouldn’t be with chemicals either.

• Melissa Navarro

I have baking pans under my sink any ideas on how to organize those under there?

• Carol Roberson Little

I use picture hangers the ones with the one nail in them, the work great for any pan with a handle, you could hang some of them on the insides of you cabinet if you want, but the make ice decor for your walls too! Good luck girl!

• Dbr18904664

Why you have 2 tension rods in there? What is the one in the back used for?

• Susan

What a great idea for my mess under the kitchen sink here! And I even have a spare tension rod so will try it today. Thanks for the great idea!

• Kim

Hi Shawna,

Under my kitchen sink it looks similar & it drives me nuts as I am a clean & organized woman. So I LOVE this idea, tension rods can be picked up for $3 or $4 dollars & I already have nice baskets to use for smaller items...this is quick simple & I also love that you can See what you have...I end up buying doubles thinking I don't have any at home, but I do!!! Lol

So thank-you once again for sharing this simple, cheap idea!!

~Kim