Upcycled/Repurposed Crib into Toy Box Bench

My cousin gave me a "curbed" crib she no longer wanted. I had no idea what I wanted to do with it, until I saw a similar project, and I was inspired to make this kids toy box bench. You can see a step by step tutorial on my blog, My Repurposed Life http://bit.ly/K9NUzG
upcycled repurposed crib into toy box bench, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects, This is the crib I started with This style of crib is not real sturdy that s why it took me a while to figure out what to do with it
This is the crib I started with. This style of crib is not real sturdy, that's why it took me a while to figure out what to do with it.
upcycled repurposed crib into toy box bench, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects, I cut one of the pieces shorter and then in half note I used two scrap pieces of wood to support the slats until I got them secure later in this project
I cut one of the pieces shorter, and then in half. (note:I used two scrap pieces of wood to support the slats until I got them secure later in this project)
upcycled repurposed crib into toy box bench, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects, I built a box out of 1x10 s using pocket hole screws I used a piece of plywood for the bottom I dry fit it all together with clamps
I built a box out of 1x10's using pocket hole screws. I used a piece of plywood for the bottom. (I dry fit it all together with clamps)
upcycled repurposed crib into toy box bench, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects, I used screws through each of the side slats and the back of the bottom brace to attach the box to the new bench
I used screws through each of the side slats and the back of the bottom brace to attach the box to the new bench.
upcycled repurposed crib into toy box bench, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects, I embellished the front of the box with the bottom of the crib piece I cut off I think this is what makes this bench come together It ties it all in
I embellished the front of the box with the bottom of the crib piece I cut off. I think this is what makes this bench come together. It ties it all in.
upcycled repurposed crib into toy box bench, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects, I added hinges and a safety hinge not shown I painted it a very light blue green Note I drilled holes in the bottom for ventilation in case a child closes the lid while in the box
I added hinges and a safety hinge (not shown) I painted it a very light blue/green. Note: I drilled holes in the bottom for ventilation in case a child closes the lid while in the box.
upcycled repurposed crib into toy box bench, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects, Voila I love how this project came together Remember you can see a step by step tutorial on my blog My Repurposed Life
Voila! I love how this project came together. Remember, you can see a step by step tutorial on my blog. My Repurposed Life http://bit.ly/K9NUzG
Gail--My Repurposed Life

Questions on this post

Your question...
  2 questions

Comments

2 of 53 comments
Next