Painting Kitchen Cabinets!

$200

My husband and I have been busy since April doing some home improvements to our cottage that were long over due. These before pictures are from 11 years ago when we bought our cottage on a lake (the lovely table and chairs were included with the cottage). Our cottage is a manufactured home and was new to the property in 1999, we fondly call it our double wide on the lake. My first project upon moving in was to plaster all the walls in the cottage. I had never done this before, but the tedious hard work paid off and the walls turned out great.

Some manufactured homes are put together inexpensively and the cheapest products are used when constructed...ours is one of them. We found this out when our granddaughter decided to peel off the "paper/plastic whatever you call it" on the front of the cabinet door. The paper gave the cabinet its stained wood look. We had another door to replace that one to buy us time until I painted.

After cleaning all the cabinets then sanding and peeling little strips at a time, I came up with the idea to use a heat gun to peel off the paper.

I would heat the wood slowly and start peeling the paper. By staying ahead a little bit and continuing to heat the wood you can peel it all off in big strips. If you get to close to the paper you are pulling (with the heat gun), the paper will melt and rip. No big deal, you just heat and continue on.

This was actually kind of fun seeing how quickly it all came off by using the heat gun.

Twenty five doors and eight drawers to go...

This is the corner cabinet that I did a post on the "Pencil Shiplap Wall" back in February. It was called winter boredom in Wisconsin and I couldn't resist trying this and really did like how it turned.

Wow, what a darn MESS...I love it! Of course, once you take off the doors, spring cleaning kicks in and reorganizing cupboards starts...

Ignore the cord hanging down, that is for the twinkle lights up above that I forgot to push up into the cupboard for the picture.

I primed the cabinets with Zinsser first then used Benjamin Moore Advanced paint in White Dove and loved it. I would recommend this paint to anyone who is going to paint cabinets. It self levels, and is a strong paint, I love how easy it was to work with. I also replaced all the brass hardware. I will be doing another post with pictures on how I painted those awesome green counter tops to look like granite. Stay tuned!

Primer I had on hand

15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized

• Elizabeth

What are the instructions to paint on glass (what to use and is there is primer)?

• Lisaalley91

I love it, I'm getting ready to remodel kitchen and I'm not sure if it will peel but I'm going to try it,if it doesn't I have alot of sanding to do. My walls are white paneling and I'm not sure if white cabinets will look good!? However anything is better than the color of golden stain

• Bev

Did you peel the plastic off the cabinets too? If so, did you have to empty the cabinets to do it?

• The doors and drawers were the only part with the "plastic" on that I had to peel off. The cabinets did not have anything to peel off. I was able to just prime and paint the cabinets. A lot of people will empty out the cabinets when painting, I was too lazy, lol!! Hope this helps!!

• MaryAnn Stanley

This looks wonderful!! You did a great job, it is amazing what paint can do for cabinets and everything looks great!

• Sherry

Are the cabinet boxes real wood? Mine are pressed board and I’m wondering if I just paint them after peeling the plastic “wood” covering, what would the finish look like? I’m thinking this would not work for my cabinet boxes. Thanks!