Kitchen Cabinet Turned Roll-away Cart/Moveable Island

In my kitchen remodel, took this cabinet down so that I could put chunky shelving in it's place.
kitchen cabinet turned roll away cart moveable island, how to, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
Removed cabinet. Removed molding at top.
Added 4 lockable casters. Removed hardware and filled holes. Primed with STIX 2 coats (no sanding). BEHR satin paint: 2-3 coats. Screwed on two old table leaves, centered on top of cabinet and primed those as well.
*I did add spacers between the top of the cabinet and the table leaves...I used paint stir sticks to prevent the doors from rubbing also to make the top level with my counters.
Painted with BEHR latex satin and added hardware.
The cart top is painted with latex paints I had laying around the house. Used a dark grey (same as counter tops - see related post) then a number of different colours. white, black, turquoise, light grey. Sponged them on and softened with damp cloth.
Once dry, mixed my epoxy and poured it on making sure of full coverage. Of course, I protected the cabinet and floors with drop cloth. Dried in dust free environment because dust (and who knows, maybe a stray hair or fly! ha!) WILL land in it as it takes 4+ hrs to dry!
I now have open shelving where the cabinet used to be!

• Kelleysdiy

I have tile counter tops....is there some way to update them?Peerhaps somethng to fill in the grut lines so it would look even?

• Bonnie duke

I have tile also and want to replace I have been looking at the cement to top it ardor cement I am reading that you could use .still researchng will be glad to get rid of that tile

• Teresa Barone Jameson

What did you do to the back of the cabinet?

• Cece

I am pretty sure she painted the entire cabinet, front and back.

• Mus32522456

Very clever idea! Looks like you hired someone to do this job; very nicely done!

I recently transformed my guest bathroom’s laminate countertop to mimic granite, but topped it off with 4 light coats Polyurethane. It does NOT have the smooth, glass-top look that your countertops do. Does the epoxy mix make that much of a difference?

• Kay

When I remodeled my kitchen I had the contractor put wheels behind the kickplate on the small 18” cabinet between the ridge and stove. Makes cleaning real easy

• Liz

What a great idea, Kay. I have cats, so cleaning coils underneath refrigerator is a must. This would give much easier access behind and allow easier moving of refrigerator to clean underneath. Clever, putting them behind the kick-plate so rollers don't show.

• Marlenepartridge

We did this hack in my last house when we replaced the kitchen. We just bought an extra "upper" cabinet and put on wheels ane topped it with counter top that matched our kitchen. It was fabulous to have movable counter space and the baking equipment had a new home.