1970's Kitchen Gets a Modern Farmhouse Makeover!

Our 1978 kitchen needed a complete overhaul so we did just that! Check out how we transformed dark and dated to bright and modern!

First things first, the kitchen floor plan was terribly closed off and tiny. We took out one entire wall and enlarged the floor plan by at least 4 feet.

Next up, we finished tearing out the rest of the cabinets and soffit, and then installed 5" wide Pine Plank hardwood floors.

The stain color is Early American by MinWax. After flooring was finished, we installed new cabinets that we bought from Ikea.

Once all of the cabinets were installed, we topped them with Carrara Marble. I absolutely love the look and feel of marble!

Shiplap adorning the walls finished out the look of our modern farmhouse and here's the after.

The open shelving allows me to utilize practical storage as well as tons of styling opportunities.

Thanks for looking at our kitchen makeover! If you've liked what you've seen here, I hope you'll check out my blog where I have many more before and after photos of my projects along with source lists and paint colors!! Click the link added:) Have a great day!

Kayla Payne

• Linda

Good job. What color are the cabinets? (Is this information in the text and I didn't see it?)

• Mcgypsy9

Linda if you go to her blog you will find that the cabinets are from IKEA and they came with the paint in that color.

• Barbara

I noticed that you installed big drawers instead of regular cabinets with doors on the stove side, I recently read that doing that is so much better. Do you agree that drawers are better than cabinets? I'm thinking of going with drawers when I redo my kitchen. Love your upgrade!

• Jjqq

So, was this a DIY project- or just hired others to put in new floors and cabinets , countertops, etc? It’s very nice -

• MaryAnn

Beautiful, bright, and Big! Love the new refrigerator and the drawer cabinets. The flooring is beautiful. A great renovation.

• Kim

It’s beautiful but a bit more than a typical DIY project. When I first opened, I expected to see revamps or upgrades to existing; however, it’s a totally different kitchen with new floor plan, cabinets, floors, pretty much everything. I would definitely cal this a gorgeous remodel!!