1970's Kitchen Gets a Modern Farmhouse Makeover!

Our 1978 kitchen needed a complete overhaul so we did just that! Check out how we transformed dark and dated to bright and modern!

1970 s kitchen gets a modern farmhouse makeover , home improvement, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, large home improvement projects

First things first, the kitchen floor plan was terribly closed off and tiny. We took out one entire wall and enlarged the floor plan by at least 4 feet.

Next up, we finished tearing out the rest of the cabinets and soffit, and then installed 5" wide Pine Plank hardwood floors.

The stain color is Early American by MinWax. After flooring was finished, we installed new cabinets that we bought from Ikea.

Once all of the cabinets were installed, we topped them with Carrara Marble. I absolutely love the look and feel of marble!

Shiplap adorning the walls finished out the look of our modern farmhouse and here's the after.

The open shelving allows me to utilize practical storage as well as tons of styling opportunities.

Thanks for looking at our kitchen makeover! If you've liked what you've seen here, I hope you'll check out my blog where I have many more before and after photos of my projects along with source lists and paint colors!! Click the link added:) Have a great day!

Kayla Payne

• Leslie Johnson

I love it!

I have always wondered if the Edison lights are too bright? I can do this too but have hesitated because while I love light! I also don’t want it to be stark.

Thank you, Leslie

• Connie West

I have Black/Slate counter tops with the Gray(as in your pictures) cabinets. I feel I made a mistake in getting the Black counter tops....what can I do to brighten it up in my kitchen.....I was thinking to paint my kitchen all white/ an Off white or throw some Beige with white cabinets and silver hardware? Your thoughts please! My kitchen is VERY similar to the one your showing.

• Ramona Plascensia

Sounds like unique colors. Stainless steel accents would look nice and brighten it up...even stainless steel accent backsplash.

• Linda

Good job. What color are the cabinets? (Is this information in the text and I didn't see it?)

• Lcruz

What a change from that dark, cornered in kitchen. It has been transformed. I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

• Suzy306

Love love love it. Everything about it is beautiful. Great job!!!