How to Make DIY Silhouette Portraits

These sweet DIY silhouette portraits are not only great for home decor, but a fun keepsake too. In fact, I think these would make a great Mother's Day gift. Check out more of my Frugal Mother's Day Gift Ideas. I have seen pricey version you can send away for, but honestly they are surprisingly easy to make yourself!
The first thing you need is a profile picture. I would take it on a blank wall to avoid distractions. Also, if you are taking several people's picture, be sure to get the same angle.
Gather the rest of your supplies: Printed profile pictures, black construction, paper or scrapbook paper, very sharp scissors, pencil, background paper, glue stick, frame and/or mat.
Now cut out the profile. Be very careful to not cut off any feature. The cutting for this project really works best with a very sharp pair of scissors. After cutting the profile, trace around the image into the black paper using a sharp pencil. After profile is cut, glue the image onto the center of your background paper. I just used a school glue stick.
To finish the look, place them in a frame (with or without matting). I love the look! It really adds a pop of color and personality into the decor. And best of all- it was inexpensive and easy to make. My favorite kind of DIY project.
Join me on Tuesday April 18th at 1 pm! I will be doing a LIVE tutorial of this project on Hometalk! Can't wait to "see" you there!

• Copies profile picture
  • Black paper
  • Color accent paper

Mary