Mary
Mary
  • Columbus, OH

How to Make DIY Silhouette Portraits

These sweet DIY silhouette portraits are not only great for home decor, but a fun keepsake too. In fact, I think these would make a great Mother's Day gift. Check out more of my Frugal Mother's Day Gift Ideas. I have seen pricey version you can send away for, but honestly they are surprisingly easy to make yourself!
diy silhouette portraits, crafts, how to, wall decor
The first thing you need is a profile picture. I would take it on a blank wall to avoid distractions. Also, if you are taking several people's picture, be sure to get the same angle.
Gather the rest of your supplies: Printed profile pictures, black construction, paper or scrapbook paper, very sharp scissors, pencil, background paper, glue stick, frame and/or mat.
Now cut out the profile. Be very careful to not cut off any feature. The cutting for this project really works best with a very sharp pair of scissors. After cutting the profile, trace around the image into the black paper using a sharp pencil. After profile is cut, glue the image onto the center of your background paper. I just used a school glue stick.
To finish the look, place them in a frame (with or without matting). I love the look! It really adds a pop of color and personality into the decor. And best of all- it was inexpensive and easy to make. My favorite kind of DIY project.
diy silhouette portraits
Join me on Tuesday April 18th at 1 pm! I will be doing a LIVE tutorial of this project on Hometalk! Can't wait to "see" you there!

• Copies profile picture
  • Black paper
  • Color accent paper
Mary