Mice eating my succulent

+7
I live in a rural area near fields and lately I have a big problem with mice or rats eating my succulents. What can I put out to stop them? I have pets so I have to be careful.
  • Sophia,M.,McConnery Sophia,M.,McConnery on Aug 24, 2016
    The option in some of the posts here is to put shredded Irish Spring soap around the plants.I am sure mice and rats do not like this!
  • Hugh Martin Hugh Martin on Aug 24, 2016
    Outdoor cats and/or black snakes will solve your problem.
    • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Aug 24, 2016
      Irish spring will not be of benefit. Research shows human hair,mothballs in mesh bags,peppermint oils,garlic. Basically any scents rodents do not carefor.
  • Mary Coakley Mary Coakley on Aug 24, 2016
    I believe you will have to use rat poisin ,if your pets sleep inside you could put it out at night and bring it in in the morning.Best solution is an outdoor cat as previously mentioned.Good luck I do abhor rats
  • Mitzi Midkiff Mitzi Midkiff on Aug 24, 2016
    the peppermint oil works... I have heard that the human hair is good to get rid of deer too....my Mom was a beautician and EVERYONE wanted her to save the hair she cut each day!
  • She She on Aug 25, 2016
    Rodents will work at night while birds will probably be doing their damage in early morning. Covering your plants with a wire mesh of some sort is an easy non-lethal method of preventing this sort of damage, but is not very attractive. For rodents, poison can be set out, but should be used with caution. Mouse traps can also get the job done. Once a rodent has moved into an area, it will systematically keep munching your plants. Birds seem to move from one area to another and usually are more isolated attacks. Clearly, you can't do anything about damage that has already occurred. Once an animal intruder is discovered munching your plants, you can only fight to prevent future damage- you live near FIELDS- THEIR NATURAL HOMES. I'D GO WITH IRISH SPRING- HEAVY COATING & FENCING GARDEN IF THAT DOESN'T.WORK.
  • Julianne Julianne on Aug 31, 2018

Huge problem for us!! We trapped 7 rats in 6 days, not knowing why they were attracted to our garden. Then I noticed my "pork and beans" succulents were eaten bare. Yes, rats do eat succulents. Succulents are all edible to humans, rats probably love them.

The newer traps that have more sensitive trigger mechanism, the "tomcat" traps are the ones we used to trap 7 rats in 6 days. 2 of the rats were babies and the rest were full grown and huge.

Now, we keep loaded traps around with peanut butter as bait, out of the way and our dogs don't mess with the traps at all.

• Julianne Julianne on Aug 31, 2018

one more thing, if you can stand to do it, these newer traps are re-usable.